Moms who selectively vaccinate?

Did you give the DTap shot (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis)?
Tetanus is something serious and I would think that this combo vaccine is needed. I think it is a series of 4 shots one every 6 months. Not sure. Did your children get the DTap vaccine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD was suppose to get a Tetanus shot this year and we didn't do it because one of the known side effects is seizures. She had a grand mal seizure in August of 2010 that ended with her being in a medically induced coma for 11 days. Because of this her doctor felt it was safer to not give her the shot.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I delayed that one. He did not get the first dose until his second birthday then we went on schedule for the boosters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I selectively/delay vaccinate. My children did get the DTap. The only vaccines I have chosen not to give them for now is Hep B, Chicken Pox, and the Flu vaccine. They'll get those closer to school age when exposure is more of a risk. All other vaccines are given one at a time as opposed to the 3-6 at a time that they recommend, and I never allow them to have any vaccinations closer than 2 weeks apart. It means more trips to the office for me, but they really aren't more than 3-4 months behind any other child, and usually level up by their birthdays each year.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Anon and Kimedsbs, Thanks.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I delayed that vaccine. You used to be able to get it separately and give the shots at different time, and that's what I did for my older ones, but I have heard that's not the case anymore and haven't researched it for my younger ones yet.

Answer by missanc at 8:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• missanc I'll look into it. Thanks.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• A link to one of the posts in the Educate Before you Vaccinate group (don't let the heading scare you ... it's what a nurse told a mom/scare tactics):

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I didn't vaccinate.

The kid's Pediatrician vaccinated them. I trusted the Doctors.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:26 AM on Jun. 10, 2011