Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What can we do about DH's ex wife accessing our family's dental insurance?

I logged into our family dental insurance policy online today. I do it every 2-3 months (along with our medical insurance) to make sure everything is still correct. This time, I did it to sign up for electronic EOBs, because we hadn't been receiving any. Well, they store them online, and I noticed a new EOB for my SD. I opened it, and saw that DH's address was listed as his ex's address. You cannot have multiple addresses in the system-only the sponsor's address-all paperwork is sent to whatever address is on file, and we had set it to OUR address. All of our family's vital information is listed in the account--DOB's, SSNs, full names. For both DH and I, as well as all of our children (including SD and our 3 together).

His ex would only need his SSN (the policy number, so she has access to it), his DOB and his full name to get access to the account via telephone, USPS, or email. What can we do about her accessing our account? She is not an authorized user, which means she would have had to have someone else call in and pretend to be DH, or she would have had to claim to be me (same policy number for everyone, and BM could easily get my DOB through MIL or if she viewed a copy of our marriage certificate online, which in the county we are married, public records like that are viewable on the county site). There has to be SOMETHING we can do. DH has already emailed the dentist and orthodontist for my SD to verify the contact information (to prove that they have the correct address, in case she tries to claim it was them who did it--though they wouldn't have access to changing information!).

We are going to password protect our insurance, of course. I double checked the medical insurance, and since you need to log in using DH's military credentials (i.e. military account username and password), it was all still good. But is there some recourse we can take either with BM or the insurance company? DH hasn't EVER lived with BM in her current or previous address. They have been separated for 6 years, and SD has only been on the dental insurance for 2.5...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (15)
  • ~ I think that once you change the password and update your information everything will be fine.
    What is this women (BM) trying to do anyway?

    Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • Was she getting all your Explanation of Benefits documents?

    Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • Call the dental insurance company, find out if they can flag the account to require a password or special verification to modify account information.

    Answer by SWasson at 7:36 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • Cafemomof217--She was getting ALL documents on ALL of us. Not just EOBs, and not just for my SD (which, she shouldn't be getting anyway, as DH is Court Ordered to pay for all medical/dental insurance, co-pays, and uncovered expenses).

    We are going to contact them to put a password on the account.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:39 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • Maybe you can ask for it not to be stored online anymore. Have them send you the paperwork instead every 6 months.

    Answer by gemgem at 7:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • See, we WANT it online. I went in to change the mailings to email only. When it's online, we can check it. She doesn't have access to the online account, but can access it through phone, email and USPS by using DH's SSN, DOB, and name. If it weren't for the online account, we wouldn't have even known she did it.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • Hmm...for kicks and giggles I would call an attorney to see if she violated one of the many HIPPA (I think that's the acronym) laws and if so threaten her with or actually file a suit against her.

    Answer by meooma at 7:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • I would firs try talking to her (or having DH talk to her). Explain that the account only allows one address so you have been missing some documents you normally keep on file. Tell her you would like th address changed back in to your address as the primary carries for the insurance and reassure her that any vital information regarding her sons dental care will be sent her way. I agree you should contact the company and see what you can do to privacy protect the account.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 7:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • gemgem could be right but then again databases are very important these days everything is done through computers. I get my EOBs in the mail too but for me is very convenient to have access to the records on line.

    Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • But Mommie--She should NOT have access to the account, and we won't be asking her to change it back--DH has already contacted the company to change it back. She has no legal right to access the account.

    Meooma--We are definitely going to look into the HIPAA laws and see if she violated anything. She legally should have ZERO access to our family's account, as only the sponsor and spouse are entitled to access the account.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.