My dog is dying :-(

I know she is. She is over 10 years old and in the past few months I have seen a decline. It is nothing I can pinpoint. She has lost sight in one eye. She is barking at things that are not there. She is peeing on the floor when she normally does not. She cant go down the steps outside anymore. I found her trying to sleep in my fireplace? The last few nights she wont come to bed anymore she wants to sleep alone in a cubby hole we have in our entertainment center.
My husband wants me to take her to the vet and I fully intent to do that. We just treated her and my other dog for fleas and ticks and I made an appointment to bring her in to get checked out in two weeks (next payday). He also wants me to prepare myself to put her down because he thinks it is not fair for her to suffer. I dont think she is suffering though, she is just old and senile as far as I can tell and doesnt seem to be in any pain? My mom thinks it might be some form of kidney issue (common in her breed and my mom lost a dog same breed to that).
What do you ladies think? I cant just put her to sleep just because she is old. I dont think I can put her to sleep at all! My husband said if it comes to it and the vet says so I have to. I dont know what to do. Shes my baby.

Asked by gemgem at 7:47 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Pets

• Talk to your vet, and see what they suggest. Follow your heart, because you will know when the time is right. If your dog is eating and is not in pain then maybe right now is not the time. My sister is going through this same thing with her dog mainly loosing his eyesight he is not in pain, and eats well. He seems to have his good days and his bad. She does all she can for him and she told me if this gets any worse she knows she will have to have him put to sleep. It is not easy dogs are a part of the family, but just know you are doing all you can and for now that is all you can do.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:54 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Well, you have to look at quality of life. Is she enjoying her food? Is she enjoying your company? Is she playing? Does she seem happy in her surroundings? If the answers here are 'no' then it may be her time. We as the owners have responsibility over out pets health and well being. As hard as it is sometimes the kindest, most loving and selfless decision we can ever make for them is to let them go, in peace. Stand beside them as they take their last breaths and wish them well. I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to loose a friend like that. They become our family. If the vet tells you there is nothing else they can offer to help her then take her home and consider your options, just remember to put her first as you decide. ((HUGS))
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:01 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• hugsi feel your pain andi think that dh and but mommie are right if it's her time then you have a responsibility to do so. As hard as that is to do. I hope that you can get thru this. i lost a cat last year and it's getting a little easier but they are still family to us human or not.

amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:23 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I don't think your dog is dying. Your dog could be depressed. Your dog could have arthritis. Please update me and let me know what the vet says. Do u and hubby spend time with the dog,she sounds lonely.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:59 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• No she stopped playing a long time ago shes really old and cranky. As for food I have to cook her food she has allergies but she seems ok with it. She isnt all that happy with her surroundings unless shes asleep in my bed with her head on my pillow or on my lap or in her cubby. We have kids though and shes old so I try and figure well if I was old I wouldnt want toddlers running around me either lol.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 8:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Oh yeah we spend all kinds of time with her. I am home all day. She is a lapdog for the most part, but hasnt wanted much laptime lately. She is spoiled rotten.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2011