My cat won't get off of my tummy. Is this a bad sign?

My cat won't get off of my tummy. She never was a lap cat until I was about six months pregnant and she only sits on my belly. Her loud purr makes the baby kick and my cat will situate herself wherever the baby is kicking.

I don't know if she likes the kicking sensation or if she senses the pregnancy but she has become possessive over my belly and sometimes hisses when I take her off.

Is she going to be overprotective of the baby once born? Is this a real problem or am I reading too much into it?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 11:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My cat is 15 yrs old and always kept to herself. She never really liked me( she was SO'S before we got together) but while I was pregnant with Payton she was ALWAYS on my stomach and if she couldnt cause the way I was laying she would get on my hips. I have to say she was ALWAYS around Payton in the beginning exspecially if someone was around. Like My MIL came over one day when Payton was like 2m old and she went to go to her room to see her and the cat started hissing at her. (she never did that before.) But soon after she lost interest. I wouldnt worry bout it. I never though she was going to hurt her and she never has.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 11:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• idk wut it means but my cat is the same way she never was a lap cat and hated being petted but now al lshe wants is loveing and hisses when i push her off
    Anonymous

• that is adorable! :)

my guess is she probably likes the movement and warmth :) but you never know

I had a cat when I was pregnant with my first that when I went into labor Wed night, my cat did not leave my side until Thursday night at midnight when I left to go to the hospital. That cat followed me everywhere! I didn't even see him go to the litter box all day
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i dont see a problem after the baby is born but please still keep a eye on your lo. like ppl say cats smother lo's...its the milk and the wormth.
    my dog did that since 28wks when i was in and out of labor.. and oen time had a really bad contraction couldnt talk the dog started howling sent my mil running. they since when your preg thats all
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I had a cat when I was pregnant with my first who seemed very aware of the pregnancy and she liked to snuggle up to my belly too. I always thought it was cute. After I had my son she just loved him. I can remember I was sleeping with him once and woke up to find her snuggled between us. I never thought it was a problem. The only thing to keep in mind (which I'm sure you're aware of) is to watch the cat around your baby carefully because she may try to lay on the baby like that and she could hurt him/her.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• that's awesome a little guard kitty! they are just bonding... cats dogs and children are super receptive to the littlest things
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I think you're reading into it a little bit too much. I doubt seriously that your cat knows there is a living breathing baby in your belly. She is probably just enjoying the fast heart rate and rolls like you are:). Keep kitty away from the nursery and baby's things (to prevent the possesive behavior you're worried about) and enjoy the tummy time together:)
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• When I was preg w/my 1st, I had a cat that would watch my stomach move when my baby moved. He'd sit in the window across from the bed and I would be taking a nap, watching tv, whatever and suddenly I would have this moose of a cat pounce on my belly and start "digging" into it. The baby, feeling this, would kick back to the cat, omg, this would go on and on and on! It was so uncomfortable!! I still remember yelling HELP! to my ex-h who wouldn't, he'd just laugh his ass off!! My DD LOVES hearing that story! And about the time that I was snuggled up to her dad and we were asleep and WHAM! out of the blue, she (my DD) kicked her dad, hard in the.....family jewels. HA HA!! I laughed my ASS off at that one! Served him right if ya ask me!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• my cat did this also....and she is fine with my baby
    gonnabamomma

Answer by gonnabamomma at 12:36 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My cats never really liked my pg belly. I had one that didn't leave my side while I was in labor all night. She wasn't upset when the baby came home, but wasn't really possessive either. She did like to snuggle up to us while I nursed. Our current cat HATED my pg belly but loves this little one like no other. I would find her curled up at the baby's feet all of the time. She still loves him and he's nearly 4.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:44 AM on Dec. 11, 2008