Best Insurance companies when adding teen drivers?

Ok long story short. I have Geico for about 10 yrs. Awhile ago we had an accident and although theyd been great and covered our cars for years in this one case they did not want to fix our car. I could have sued, but that takes time. I just dropped them and went with Progressive. My husband and son in law fixed the car themselves (was not MAJOR damage more the point than anything).
Now my son has his license and no car. He had a Camaro and sold it to help fix up the car that had been in the accident. It is road worthy now so were putting it on the road today. Anyway I call my insurance and initially to add him as an occasional driver (no cars in his name) was only $68 a mth. No big deal. He pays his own insurance or his portion. I added this car back onto insurance and they want to add him as a principle driver although the car is not in his name. It brings our insurance up by $450 every 6 months. That will make his insurance every month around $140.

Now do any other mommys out there with teen drivers have any suggestions or advice? Is there a better company to go with? Is it better for him to have his own policy or is it less to keep him on ours? This is all new to us since my older two kids never got their licenses until they were 18 so they covered themselves. Oh and right now were through Progressive.

Asked by gemgem at 8:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• State Farm. Not only do they have a good student discount they also have a program that if the teen goes through it. Basically a driving log. They also get another discount. Plus side it doesn't matter if they take drivers Ed or not.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:22 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Another plus with them they also have discounts for having your home owners insurance with them and multiple car discounts. The only down side is if you have a bad agent. look around and ask others who might be the best agent in your area.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Thanks Ill try them. He has done drivers ed through school anyway it was required. And he is a good student.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 8:23 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• ALL insurances have good student discounts. I would stick with your current place because you would have multiple drivers and should get a discount for that. The amount that you stated is cheap. I am paying $560 for 6 months of full coverage for ME. And that includes discounts for mulitple cars, homeowners insurance, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I dont need full coverage we own all of our cars outright though. For 6 months our insurance total would be $1114 including my husband, myself and my son. I dont think that is cheap LOL. Granted $140 a month is my sons side but still.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Thanks dap I called state farm they are going to cover all 3 of us for less than $600 every six months. Thats almost half.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2011