My dad passed away two months ago. I know someone else who also lost their dad recently. Father's Day is coming. Do you have some advice or words of wisdom during Father's Day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• My dad passed away 47 of cancer back in Jan. My Uncle - DHs side passed away not two months later from cancer at 50. Were all going to have a cokout together- err the cousins aunt and my little fam. Its going to be to celebrate their life and waht they gave us- taught us and showed us in life. Were all adults, so we may throw one back to make it easier. I would LOVE to be able to give my dad a card and a hug this year! Hugs to you!!
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 1:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Celebrate their life and not their death. You will see them again one day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I agree celebrating their lives is the best way to remember them. I would also say it is okay to feel what ever emotions you do on that day. There might be times when you are sad and cry or are angry and yell..embrace those emotions and know that it is okay to be sad because someone you love is no longer here on earth.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I am so sorry for your loss! My dad passed away 13 years ago. The first year was the hardest year I ever had in my entire life. I "lost" myself for awhile from grief. People would tell me to "grieve well"...heck, I still don't know what that means. Looking back, I wish I had gotten into some counseling and let someone help guide me through the pain I was experiencing. When my dad died(I was 29), he was my only parent I had ever had as my mom died when I was 4 years old...I don't go to the stores and look at Father's day cards...it was just too painful, but, what you can do is make a special memory in his honor and start your own tradition. BIG HUGS as you work through this painful time.
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Set up a memory table. I do that in my house. I have a picture and a candle and a plate with some bread. I know they are with me in spirit, so I honor their memory. Since this is so soon yet, tell you father how much you miss him. He knows already, but it helps to say it, have a good cry and then go about the day. You could also write him a letter and burn it as well.
    techgirl3

Answer by techgirl3 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• If this is your first father's day, it will be rough. My husband lost his dad 2 years ago and it was hard.. To me you have to allow yourself to grieve.. If crying helps, then don't be afraid to.. Let it go through you.. It will lead you back.. In time all the above ideas are good.. learn to celebrate his life, cherish the memories and know in your heart he's always there. But in the meantime remember that time is the only thing to help you..so don't think you need to be brave right now.. allow yourself the time to grieve..
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• anyone else?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2011