Did I say the right thing?

My fil had an e-mail with pics and attachments to be sent to another country and needed help sending it. My husband spent the whole week next doorover their house trying to figure it out. Meanwhile I was left home. By the 4th day, I was livid. I finished the dishes and went over there. I found my husband looking at another e-mail with his father with him in it of course and mil just watching tv. It was as if I was not there with mil and then she called me over and asked me what my grandson was doing. SO I answered he is doing his own thing and I got tired of being home alone again. She ignored my answer and just watched tv ad my sil then talked to me.I am tired of being taken for granted, and that is why I went over there. What advice do you have with mil??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• Advice for mil is we all have habits and hers is watching tv in the evening. It would have been nice if she would/could have turned it off and made conversation with you but she didn't. Some well-intended advice for you: Husbands and wives are allowed to spend time away from each other. He was right next door helping his father, he was not out drinking or hanging out with his buddies or glued to a video game. One of the better things we can do for ourselves is learn to enjoy and appreciate alone time. Hopefully with his help his dad was able to send the email.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:39 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Why is it her problem? Sounds like it is your husband and fil spending time together. She just lives there lol. I am a mil myself and I know my son in law gets mad sometimes too when dd comes over awhile but it has nothing to do with me. She just comes over. At the same time my dh used to do the same as your dh and again I didnt blame mil. I took it up with him. I told him either hes married to me and living with us as a family or hes at home being a baby boy to his. He started staying home more often.

Answer by gemgem at 8:36 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• thats a tough one i think you need to talk to the husband first and let him know that it bothers you that he takes up so much of your family time being over there. And that you tried to be patient and day four was just too much. Also next time maybe you could go and bring your son and maybe that will help speed things up over there or it might help bond you and mil. i hope that this helps.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:36 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Is it pleasant to be home? You need to discuss with him what you two can do together to make spending time more important and desirable. Only you and your husband have responsibility for this. It is not your inlaws.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Your relationship with MIL can only be as good as the boundaries your DH enforces.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 8:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2011