What causes birthmarks?

I know you are born with them, but it is just genetics, is it something that happens to the baby while in utero. What causes them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Health

• it's generally pigmentation related. like too much concentrated in one spot (darker spots) or missing from a spot (lighter marks)

some are more involved genetic related such as port wine stains.

my daughter has a spot on the top of her head :) luckily her hair covers it now LOL

my son has some interesting birth marks that involve his hair. he has lighter patches of hair due to lack of pigmentation
    Anonymous

• I have 5 kids & only 2 of them have had any birthmarks. My 3 yr old had "stork bites" (on her neck, upper back, back of her head & on her forehead) They are faded significantly now. My 11 yr old had a strawberry mark on the back of her head but when her hair grew over it, it went away. YOu can barely see the spot now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2008