The lists in the preggo books of stuff to take to the hospital are insane! What did you really use?

My baby book has a list of almost two pages of items to pack for the delivery at the hospital.

OK, I know I will use lip balm... so that is the first thing going in the bag.

What else will I really use and need?

What did you find useful?

C'mon mommies share your knowledge!

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 11:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You're probably not going to have any time / energy to do anything enjoyable. I would bring 1 thing you can do when you're bored. I brought a ton of stuff I didn't need or use, but what I did use was : MY blanket and MY pillow and one set for hubby who stayed with us. My own toiletries, a change of clothes, 2 nightgowns that were easy access, so they can check your blood pressure, heart, examine you, you can BF if you chose etc.. it's much better than those horrible gowns they give... my slippers and socks and robe, a large amount of change for snacks and drinks (for hubby while he waited),handheld back massager for labor, lotion, and lip gloss (lol I like moist lips what can I say). Also bring one preemie outfit, and one newborn outfit. My son ended up being so little his newborn pictures looked like crap.. newborns are SOO small, and mine was almost 8 lbs. Get something preemie to pictures, even if it's just ONE outfit.
    s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 3:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Not to sound flippant....really...an epidural. beyond that...nothing for labor that I can think of. Afterwords it's nice to have your own pads so you don't get stuck with the diaper they give you...your own pillow and pjs are good too
    TylersMom323

Answer by TylersMom323 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Ha ha! TylersMom323. I won't be packing an epidural but my doctor knows that I HAVE to have one. I am not going without!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 11:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I stayed in the hospital longer than normal due to complications, so I had a book and deck of cards. A camera is always good, and some non pregnancy loose clothes to go home in would have been nice for me to have.
    Any pillows or anything that help you sleep at night, music, my hubby used a hand massager on my back during labor.
    Finally, a list of people you want to call for the birth, and a list of people you just want to let know that the baby is there. Because, trust me, if you don't have one, you'll probably forget someone...
    mamahud

Answer by mamahud at 12:00 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I really need take that much.....I took:

clothes for me and baby, tooth brush and paste, body wash, shampoo & conditioner, hair brush, make up, bath robe, MY pillow & blanket, slippers, cell phone & charger, camera, batteries, and a cross word puzzle book.

Everything else I needed someone was always there to go get it if I wanted.

mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 12:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I hardly used anything. I wore my slippers, used my own toiletries, my own menstral pads, my own gowns (only when I had visitors and thats about it. seriously, the books are a bit overboard. I guess they just think these are things you MAY need incase you want, not need them..lol
    Congrats on the baby ;)
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 12:02 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• outfit for baby to go home in, what ever belongings that will make you more comfortable... sock, panties for next day, clothes to go home in, slippers/socks with grippy bottom, pads that you would like to wear the hosp. does give you diapers but i paid for them so i was gonna use them(fyi they don't charge by how many you use the charge by packages opened) nursing bra or sports bra if not feeding
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 12:02 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• yeah your own clothes I loved having them. that way the 3day i was there after were at lest comfy.
    camera, book or magazine or crossword. something todo while the baby is sleeping. Some hospitals will let you bring your laptop.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 12:03 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Take a change of clothes for you, pjs, an outfit for the baby to come home in, socks for baby, your toothbrush, socks for you, the carseat and maybe a blanket, really after that you dont need to much. I suggest sweat pants for you and a comfy shirt.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 12:03 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Your own clothes, of course. For after delivery. You'll want to be comfy =]
    A going home outfit for your little bebbee :D
    Warm socks
    Your own pillow
    A camera with batteries and extra memory cards
    Money for the snack machine (for your SO or whoever's there with you in the hospital)
    Magazines or books (or even DVDs, my hospital has a DVD player in the room xD)
    Pretty much pack as if you're going to a hotel for a few days, yanno? Just stuff to keep you totally comfy. I'm in the middle of packing my bag and I agree with you, the book lists are INSANE.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:03 AM on Dec. 11, 2008