• In the Spotlight:

Pregnancy after HELLP........

I really want to have a fouth....would be the last! My first pregnancy was induced early due to preeclampsia (34 wks), second preg was good went to 39 wks, third preg was an emergeny c-section due to liver and kidney failure and HELLP syndrome. Through blood work I have no affects of the complications. I really want one more and I just know in my heart everything would be alright. Would I be dumb to attempt another pregnancy? I recently had a miscarriage also (haven't had a regular cycle yet) think this was a sign to stop??

my_3

Asked by my_3 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• What has your family MD or OB advised you? I worked on a L&D floor and we had a Mom with HELLP and she was not as fortunate, very sad.

I would follow your MD's advise on this situation. You are very blessed to be here! :O)
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:04 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My OB is very supportive and tells me we will handle things as they come and that every pregnancy has the potiential to be high risk at any point. He also tells me that it is likely the next pregnancy could be perfectly fine. I just am not sure anymore.....
    my_3

Answer by my_3 at 12:19 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• maybe, you dont want to hurt yourself and if you do get pregnant it could be a risk to the baby and you could have a miscarriage. but its up to you, if youre up for a challenge than have at it (just ask for your doctors advice first to see what he/she says about it)
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 12:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I don't believe in signs. If you want another child, go for it. I would definitely recommend finding an excellent high-risk OB. I was already high risk with my first pregnancy, and I developed HELLP Syndrome at 24 weeks. My little John Michael had to be delivered by emergency vertical c-section, and he passed away in my arms after 3 days in the NICU. My second pregnancy was ectopic, and I lost my right fallopian tube in addition to the baby. I was on daily blood thinner injections and off of work for my third pregnancy, and I now have a healthy, beautiful 9 month old son. There are always risks to pregnancy, and some of us face more than others. If you find a good high-risk OB, s/he can evaluate your risks and formulate a care plan to minimize those risks as much as possible.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 9:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2008