What to do...

At work my department got together and got a card for my upcoming wedding. They collected money for me. They say it's just for me but do I share with him???
He has a department that could do the same.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• yes jademom
    ODD is correct
    just smile , say thank you, write those notes
    and use however you want to

ODD for givers to say, but sure they meant well, they must know you more than him, so felt need to express that
    but it is a wedding gift
    there is no need to explain use of money in a thank you, just gratitude to givers

wonder what EMILY POST would say about thisone?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• If it's for you then it's for you. I always tell young women to have money of their own. You have no idea when you may need something just for yourself. Best Wishes.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Ok... so if it is a wedding gift it would be for both of you. Starting a marriage with the idea of mine and yours might not be a good choice.

Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 9:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• and to answer main question
    WHAT TO DO... accept, say thank you, write thank you notes, and use however a newly married couple needs to put funds toward
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• This question seems kind of silly to me. If you're getting married haven't you reached the point in your relationship where you share everything? I'd use the money go help pay for the wedding, personally.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• If it's for you, do what you like with it! If you want to share it, then share it. You could also use it to purchase some sexy apparel or lotions, etc that will of course be beneficial to both of you :-) Congrats on your upcoming wedding!
    techgirl3

Answer by techgirl3 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• it marriage is two people
    just for you? maybe more a gift from people for you but you are going to be two, what you do with it is your choice
    i think very ODD to give wedding gift and SAY just for one

imo
    very odd (possible socailly rude) to give wedding gift and state just for one
    if they give it to you and husband to be not there, i think it is implied that they are handing it to you

again, my opinion
    not a correct way to give a wedding gift
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• share it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Ms.Gwen...that's why I asked because when I said that John and I were grateful, they made a point to say that it was just for me.

We do share everything but it was just odd.
    Jademom07

Comment by Jademom07 (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2011