Is it physical abuse if the abuser leaves no marks? adult content

Yes, clearly, this is opening a huge can of worms here.

As Moms we tend to look at other children who act strange and try to find any physical sign that they are abused. Yes, I understand not all of of do this but quite a few of us ignore the "Not my child, not my problem" mindset that has become popular.

what about when there are no physical signs? What if there are no burns, marks, bruises or broken bones in a cast?

Example: A child who hears her name called in a stern voice by her Mother stops and listens when the Mother comes closer vs that same child who hears her name called sternly by her Father flinches as he gets closer. Is it a sign of physical abuse without marks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• as far as your example, it coudl be,or not. some fathers are just authoritative in voice, and never abuse, so i would not jump to a conclusion without another sign. my husband has a deep voice, but doesn't beleive in violence/abuse in any way, let alone towards a child
    If it's abuse, there will be other signs. I've seen many cases of abuse of all types in my 20 some years of teaching.

and yes, there can be physical abuse without leaving marks. My own stepfather used to abuse me in more than one form, but the physical part of it was him grabbing me on the back of the neck in a certain way. It never left a physical mark, but it hurt and he used it to manipulate me in public (others though that 'dad' just had his hand on the back of his dd), little did they know that one single act done repeatedily over years was horrific and scared me internally. He was careful not to leave any 'physical' traces of his abuse. sick bastar
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I suppose it could. I find my kids flinch under dh sometimes not because he abuses them but he is a big man and when they're in trouble and he's looming over them they seem to not flinch but actually look intimidated. I've told him this and he didn't see if for a while but he see's now that it's his size that is intimidating to them. So sometimes I suppose it could be abuse but don't jump to conclusions.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It could be verbal or mental abuse as well
    shefree

Answer by shefree at 9:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• called sternly by her Father flinches as he gets closer. Is it a sign of physical abuse without marks?

i do not think this in itsself is proof of abuse
    your gutt very well could be right
    but COULD is a huge word in the last sentence
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:22 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• That would be concerning to me, but doesn't necessarily mean he is abused. Could just be afraid of his daddy. Have you ever seen his dad get physically abusive with him? Without marks it is hard to prove (I went through this with a family friend. I knew something was wrong and all my suspicions were right. He hit his son in front of me and my house during dinner one night)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• And-at
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2011