5 year old questioned in homicide.....should this be a homicide?

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (Reuters) – A 5-year-old girl could face murder charges in the recent drowning of a toddler in a bathtub, police said on Thursday.

Kansas City police are waiting for a medical examiner's report on how Jermane Johnson Jr., died, but have investigated the death as a homicide, spokesman Darin Snapp said Thursday.

"I've been in law enforcement for 20 years and it's the youngest suspect I can remember," Snapp said. "It's extremely rare."

Johnson, 18 months old, was in a Kansas City house on June 3rd with other children, but the 16-year-old girl who was supposed to be looking after them fell asleep, Snapp said.

Investigators learned through interviews that a 5-year-old girl in the house got irritated at the boy, Snapp said.

"She said she got angry because he would not stop crying and she held him under the water until he stopped crying," Snapp said.

Snapp said a decision on to handle the case will be left up to prosecutors after the medical examiner's report is released.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• :( The only person that should be undergoing any type of charges is that 16 year old.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• YES!!!
    shefree

Answer by shefree at 9:22 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I read about that and would much rather look to the parents and the sitter for this one. the child clearly had no idea what exactly she was doing and didn't know it would result in the loss of life. the parents however should have known that the sitter wasn't able to give her full attention (who sleeps through a crying baby?) and never hired her! Neglect on the parents and sitter's part. The child will require life long help once she understands exactly what she has done in her want to quite the toddler.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• A five year old child while, old enough to understand that wa snot safe is not old enough to totally grasp the severity of the action, death and prosecution. It was not like she said, 'Man I wish he would stop crying let me kill him.' In fact I bet she is totally emotionally screwed up form this as it is. I think the babysitter who failed to preform her job should be prosecuted. She was hired to watch the children...She was not the mother or the father, she was an individual being PAID to care for the kids-not sleep. i hope te little gitrl gets the help she needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• First off the little girl needs counseling. Yes this is a homicide. If the little girl didn't hold the toddler's head under the water he would be alive. The year old should held accountable and charged. She was supposed to be supervising these children, not napping. Sounds like a whole lotta neglect going on in the household.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You can't tell me a 5-year old didn't know if she held someone under water long enough, they would die. My friend had a baby boy and the babysitter's 7-year old daughter killed him by picking him up repeatedly and throwing him on the floor. It was tragic!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think the little girl should do some type of counsiling... but I would never ever see a 5 year old as a murderer ...

BUT that " babysitter" is100% responsible...
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:27 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

•  

You can't tell me a 5-year old didn't know if she held someone under water long enough, they would die. My friend had a baby boy and the babysitter's 7-year old daughter killed him by picking him up repeatedly and throwing him on the floor. It was tragic!

That's HORRIBLE!

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:28 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• By definition a homicide is the killing of one human being by another so yes, it's a homicide. However there are a lot of factors into this case. The 16 year old who fell asleep and left a 5 year old in charge of a toddler should also have some accountability in this. The 5 year old might not have a full understanding of death either. This is going to be interesting because then it can point to all of them being minors. Oy!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:32 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• "You can't tell me a 5-year old didn't know if she held someone under water long enough, they would die."

My 5 year-old doesn't understand that at all. She knows that water hurts and makes her cough if she gets it in her nose but as far as death from holding someone under water, she has no idea!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jun. 10, 2011