Could you still breastfeed and go to work ?

This is what my brother asked me.. becasue his girlfriend who is pregnant with their first child has said this.

Now I never breastfed (with my first my milk never came in, and with my second he went home a week before I did, and then we just couldnt get the hang of it when I finally got home ) ...and I also never worked while my children were little....but I am certain that there are many many women who are able to hold down their job and breastfeed ( or pump ) ...

I tried to be nice and explain to my brother that alot of woman do still go to work and breastfeed... and he goes on to tell me she has went to several breastfeeding classes and she knows the exact times ( she actually gave times, like 11am, 2:15 pm) ... and she said there is NO WAY their baby can be breastfed if she has to continue to work.

Sorry to say that this isnt the worst thing she has said either... It is obvious she doesnt want to work when the baby comes, and i cant say i blame her, because I didnt either... but she has such a bad shopping habit, SHE HAS TO . \

She has also told us that her boss said she has to come back to work 2 days after she has the baby, when my mom told her that her boss cant do that, she said well she said it and if she doesnt she will be fired... well we know her boss ( she is a friend of our grandma) and my grandma was trying to stick up for her but the boss said " no I told her after the 6 weeks are up she only has to come in for an hour or two and can bring the baby with her... I never said anything about 2 days" .. she also has her own private office so I think it would be super easy to breastfed there...

But I am sure we will hear many more things like this anyways... afterall this is the same girl who told my brother he is not a good father because he wont marry her yet and her daughter has to be born to a mother who is on government insurance .... yep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• All I can say is you need to make sure you brother is aware of all state laws concerning FML and breastfeeding mothers. He can make the decision as to where he wants to go from there.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:26 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Yes, you can breastfeed and work. I pumped at work until my son was 6 months old; many moms pump longer than that. I did reach a point where my pumping couldn't keep up with his appetite, so he sometimes had one bottle of formula during the day.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• He knows, I think eh was calling to kind of complain and make fun but without doing it in an outright - mean way...

he works 3 jobs and they are all giving him 3 weeks, so he told her " its ok, i will be home to take care of the baby" .. which made her SUPER MAD ...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I also wanted to add... I am not against her because she wants to breastfeed, or even that she wants to stay home... I think this is her baby and she should be able to make choices ( along with my brother) ... but she is going about it the wrong way, and that is never good,m because now instead of having us support her we are all just really annoyed.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Sounds to me like she doesn't want to go back to work or she just really doesn't want to breastfeed (which is ok, that is her choice. Although, it would make more sense if she said "I don't want to breastfeed" rather than coming up with all of these lame excuses.) You can work and breastfeed, my cousin did it until her daughter was a year old.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Oops I forgot to add in there after " I don't want to breast feed" or "I really want to stay home with the baby"* my brain is working really slow today.lol
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It is that she doesnt want to work - not that she doesnt want to breastfeed ( she says none of her kids will be formula fed )
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I did with my first. I worked 40 hours a week, pumped at work and he was bottle fed breast milk and some formula (he was big and I did not have quite enough milk to satisfy him) during the day. I breastfed him when I got home from work and at night. I stayed at home with my second, so she was only breastfed.
    Kalic0

Answer by Kalic0 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Have you read the article on the 'golden uterus syndrome'? I think you'd better, and show it to your brother too! Atleast than you'll know what you've gotten into (not that you can do anything about it). Maybe he can get her into therapy? Use the excuse that it's for post partum depression? Also check into malicious motherhood syndrome. It may apply in the aftermath.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:42 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I breastfed 11months until she self-weaned. I went back to work when she was 10 weeks old. She was only FF during growth spurts and then back to only breast.

Yes you can do it, there is no reason why she cannot and many states have laws protecting a nursing mom.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2011