What would you do, keep it or give it back?

So on Yahoo today there is a story of a man who found $17,000 in a bag on a sidewalk outside a bank. So i ask who would have been honest and who would have kept it? AND he took it inside the bank and they told him it didnt belong to them, so now would you change your decision?

I dont know what i would do! I am a very honest person, so i will be honest with you too! LOL a part of me would want to keep it because everyone is hard up for cash these days, but the honest part of me would feel bad keeping it! And if i took it into the bank and they said it didnt belong to them then i would really want to keep it because i tried! :) it would be different if i saw someone drop it i always get their attention and give it back, or if its in a wallet i try to find the owner. But $17,000 would pay off my husbands truck AND school loans! so it would be a hard decision.

Ok i was honest now its your turn....

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 9:32 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• Just asked and answered the same question. In the end I would have returned it but I would have for many minutes fantasized about keeping it and what all I would have done with it.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:34 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It all depends. If it looked like it came from a robbery- like either bundled stacks or random bills all thrown in a bag like grabbed out of a register,then no,I couldn't keep it. but I'd be really tempted!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• exactly what u said.. if i didnt see someone drop it.. and it wasnt the banks.. then its mine.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 9:36 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I would give it back I would never be able to live with the guilt of keeping it. Although I could think of a lot of things to do with the money.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• newspapers will run an ad for found items for free
    i would post in newspaper, but of course not many details of what was found

a bag with that much money - chances are very high that it is NOT legal money and no one will claim
    if someone did claim with details that matched, i think i would call police to look into person first, and to be there when exchange would happen, chances this was a little old lady who was going to place under her matress are very low
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• outside a bank, i would have given it back.. outside on a normal day I would assume it was drug money and keep it.. shame on me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'd take it into the police department. They would wait for it to be claimed. After a certain period of time (I believe 30 days) they will call whoever turned it in if it's not claimed and allow them to keep it. Plus, they would be able to know if it was stolen (like if they had a bank robbery lately...)
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Yeah if I tried to give it to the bank and they didnt take it..I would keep it.
    MissyNewMama

Answer by MissyNewMama at 9:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't bring it into the bank, I would take it to the police it I found it.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I would think long and hard about it and fantasize about what that could do for us, but ultimately I could never keep it. I'd turn it in to the police, otherwise it'd be like The Telltale Heart, just eating me alive with guilt.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 9:47 AM on Jun. 10, 2011