• In the Spotlight:

A four-year old obsessed with touch!

I am going a little loony with my 4yr old boy these days. He will not leave his baby brother alone...always wanting to pick him up, move him, grab him etc. I send him to his room many occasions, because he will end up knocking the baby over with too much touching! He is like this with other things as well...he's like a bull in the china shop...can't leave anything alone, always has to touch touch touch. I can hardly take him out shopping, even though he's getting old enough to know better! I even give him a toy to carry around or something to stimulate his busy hands! Nothing seems to help?! Any advice?

SarahD3boys

Asked by SarahD3boys at 12:02 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• hmmm...maybe in the store give him either a transformer cause it has to be moved around, so it will keep him busy, or something that has alot of texture that he can't destroy like maybe...a bag of different colored pasta. LOL I know that sounds crazy but your son obviously is a textile person, likes to feel things, if given something that is interesting and different it just might keep his busy little hands, busy. That is what I usually do with my 3 year old son, I will give him the bag of napkins, the texture is different for him, or the pasta, something like that. The toy thing doesn't work for me because then he expects to be able to take it home. I hope I could help a little at least. Don't you just love and adore your little boy? Oh man, I do! Sometimes..ooohh sometimes...but most of the time he melts my heart
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 12:12 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• HI JUST TO LET YOU KNOW YOUR NOT ALONE I'M RIGHT WITH YOU LOL:) I HAVE A FOUR YEAR OLD WHICH WILL BE 5 DEC 18 AN HE IS THE SAME WAY WITH HIS 18 MONTH OLD LITTLE SIS.HE GET IN TROUBLE ALLLLLLL THE TIME FOR MAKING HER CRY THEY JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY HAVE GOT TO BECAREFUL WITH THEM . I TRY TO LOOK AT THINGS IN HIS EYES YA KNOW! THEY NEED THEIR SPACE TO. MY SON TELLS ME ALL THE TIME MOM PUT THE BABY GATE UP LOL AND MY 18 MONTH JUST CRAWLS RIGHT OVER IT LOL. I GUESS YOU HAVE A MUCH SMALLER ONE THAN I DO B/C I EVEN LET MY SON CORRECT MY DAUGHTER" SOMETIMES" IF HE KNOWS WHAT SHE'S DOING IS WRONG OR COULD HURT HER... B/C SOMETIMES I'M BUSY DOING EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN HE'S ALOT OF HELP TO ME . BUT OUT IN TOWN THAT'S WHERE IT GETS FUN HE GETS WILD AND SHE DOES TO SO LET ME KNOW IF YOU GET ANY GOOD ADVICE LOL
    Mybabies1N5

Answer by Mybabies1N5 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I would get him a baby of his own and stress the importance of caring for it and that babies are very new and need a soft touch so they wont be hurt. Idle hands do the devils work...he may just be bored...is preschool an option for you? I think this would be very helpful.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:26 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My daughter is just like this too. She is in a daycare center and is always in trouble because she is always touching something. She will be four in Feb.

They suggested giving them something to touch (like ilovemy5joys said). When she sits in circle time they give her something different to hold or they let her play with play-do. She's a very bright little girl who gets very easily bored. On top of that she is incredibly strong willed.

It may feel difficult that your son is like this now, but believe you me, he's really going to be something when he gets older! Maybe a scientist or a surgeon.

I'd suggest catching him doing something good, like if he's near baby and isn't touching baby, then give him some sort of reward. He may catch on after a few tries! If he goes five minutes at the store without something, give him a reward!

Time is the best thing you have right now though!

HUGS!
    Jaga_mom

Answer by Jaga_mom at 12:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Have you thought about maybe getting him involved in marial arts or something like that..they teach disipline and calmness..Sounds like he has alot of energy..and he needs to release it somehow..maybe an activity will help him with that. I doubt he intends to hurt his brother, he just doesn't know what to do with his hands, and encouragement and guidance will help..If you keep sending him to his room, he may start resenting his brother.
    Adnil

Answer by Adnil at 1:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2008