Have you taken Math on-line instead of in-class? How is it?

I need another math class, Math 070, it's like basic Algebra. My schedule is making it hard to fit in a class so I was thinking of on-line.

I would love to know your thoughts on this. Good or bad idea?

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 9:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in

• Unless you are good in math, don't take it online. I could never take a math class online, I am horrible in math and I need to have someone teach it to me in person.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think there are some people like my husband that can pull it off, and then there are people like me that totally bombed it online.....so if your a math kinda person I would say go for! I just found it really difficult.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 10:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I took an online math class and it was actually very well structured. We had a program that first showed a video on the lesson, then we had to try to solve an example on our own. If I still needed help, I had other options... There was a written explanation that would take you through it step by step and give you the answer at each step or another explanation where you would have to fill in each answer at each step until you solved the equation. It was nice to have the different resources to use if I didn't get it.
    However, my husband took an online math class for the same reason as you and it killed him. He was averaging an A or B in every math class until that one. He almost didn't pass. So it wasn't good for him.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Knowing my learning styles, Math/Algebra/Calculus are subjects I personally would never want to take online. I really need the interaction with the instructor.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I need the classroom experience,especially for math
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:25 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• i loved it. but truthfully i am not a math person at all. so i had to literally do it like 8hrs out of the day. i did this with three other classes after returning to school after 10yrs abcense. it started really well and it was well structured but truelly very difficult. i had to get a tutor at the end. but other wise it was good. it was a good experience. i took college algebra so it is different then basic algebra but i would say its a challenge. not impossible but challenging.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2011