Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

How do people think that that Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is NOT Christian? Doesn't the name say it all? They obviously believe in Jesus Christ

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• actually there are alotta Christians who think Mormons are a cult & arent Christians. they are ignorant & prolly have never taken the time to learn about LDS for themselves (only listen to their preacher, etc). they assume its a cult b/c of the "weird" rules they follow & b/c they have a supplemental book. the more mainstream, dare i say "normal" Mormons aren't weird. yes there are those in TX that were in the news lately, they might be a cult...but most LDS aren't like them & are more Christian than most Christians i've met. while i dont agree w/ everything they believe they aren't a cult or a non-Christian group. Mormons consider themselves Christians & thats good enough for me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:41 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• because each denomination of Christianity has to find fault in the others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i am not understanding your question. what are you talking about? i have respect for the church of jesus christ of latter day.. they helped us when no other church would. for that they have gained my respect!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• perhaps because the bible God wrote for them wasn't good enough... they had to write their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• who said that? when you say people...???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Heck, ppl think Catholics worship Mary & the dont. Every religion has some misundertandings. As for LDS, they do believe in Jesus. They also believe some really odd stuff too. Oh well whatever. Ppl are free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I think it has to do with actual doctrine (although I could be totally wrong - Mormons, correct me if I am LOL!!). LDS don't believe in the Trinity like many mainstream Christians, and don't acknowledge Christ as having the same essense of God.

But that's not to say there aren't some things they have done very well. The majority of LDS lead very Christian lives, which many mainstream Christians don't. From the ones I've met, their faith truly is the most important priority in their lives - and I have to admit, I struggle with my priorities.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 6:57 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I don't have the scriptures with me here but I do at home. They believe that we can become gods. (Totally WRONG). The bibles does NOT teach that.  Thats just one.

JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 10:18 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Here's a better answer. I do respect them and they are very nice people.

"Is Mormonism Christian?" is a very important question. The answer is equally important and simple. No. Mormonism is not Christian. If you are a non-Mormon looking into Mormonism, or if you are a Christian who is simply researching Mormonism, then this paper should be of help to you. The reason Mormonism is not Christian is because it denies one or more of the essential doctrines of Christianity. Of the essential doctrines (that there is only one God, Jesus is God in flesh, forgiveness of sins is by grace alone, and Jesus rose from the dead physically, the gospel being the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus), Mormonism denies three of them: how many gods there are, the person of Jesus, and His work of salvation.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 10:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• teaches that God the Father has a body of flesh and bones (D. & C. 130:22) and that Jesus is a creation. It teaches that he was begotten in heaven as one of God’s spirit children (See the Book, Jesus the Christ, by James Talmage, p. 8). This is in strict contrast to the biblical teaching that he is God in flesh (John 1:1, 14), eternal (John 1:1, 2, 15), uncreated, yet born on earth (Col. 1:15), and the creator all (John 1:3; Col. 1;16-17). Jesus cannot be both created and not created at the same time. Though Mormonism teaches that Jesus is god in flesh, it teaches that he is "a" god in flesh, one of three gods that comprise the office of the Trinity (Articles of Faith, by Talmage, pp. 35-40). These three gods are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. This is in direct contradiction of the biblical doctrine that there is only one God (Isaiah 44:6,8; 45:5). See Trinity for a correct discussion of what the Trinity is.
    JCRestoredme