If elections aren't referendums, why did Obama campaign against Bush in 2008?

LOL! I just love election season. 

What do you think of David Axelrod's comments?

Chief Obama campaign adviser David Axelrod says 2012 will not be a referendum, but "a choice" between the ideas of Obama and his opponent.

If it's a choice between the ideas of the two candidates, why did 2008 run against Bush instead of completely against McCain? 

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:42 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It was all part of his winning formula - sling mud at the current president so all of those who were upset with Bush would love Obama, then fill their heads with empty promises and fake hope. I will give him credit on one thing, though. He promised "change" and there are several things he's managed to muck up while in office.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I even heard McCain referred to as "Bush light" during the election season. It was a vote against Bush more so than a vote for Obama for many.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:23 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Every time unexpected issues come out about Obama's policies or undesired events within his administration take place we tend to hear how Obama was the lesser of two evils. Voting against Bush was their warcry until 8 minutes ago I thought defending Obama was passe?
    Anonymous

• Ya gotta get the lies word out early so the Democrats will believe it. Nothing like another season of Obamabot watching.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• LOL! I'll pass the word!!!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I even heard McCain referred to as "Bush light" during the election season. It was a vote against Bush more so than a vote for Obama for many. Answer by sopranomommy

LOL, exactly!  They were just fine with running against Bush's policies in 2008, even going so far as to ignore some of McCain's ideals.  It was a referendum on Bush policies.  Now that Obama has his own track record (can't vote present when you are at the top of the food chain), he all of a sudden doesn't want the next election to be a referendum on his own failed policies. 

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It was a choice between continuing the failed policies that McCain wanted to go forward with,,,MOST of which matched Bush..and they were FAILURES

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:45 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Oh my.........
    Obama ran on his ideals. McCain lost the election all by himself (by choosing Palin) and I do not recall Obama's campaign using BUSH. They used what was happening in the entire Administration....and the Bush/Cheney administration spoke (badly) for themselves.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

says you...From someone who didn't vote for Obama....

I voted FOR Obama./..not AGAINST anyone else...he was just the better choice as to what was offered

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

•  

Every time unexpected issues come out about Obama's policies or undesired events within his administration take place we tend to hear how Obama was the lesser of two evils. Voting against Bush was their warcry until 8 minutes ago I thought defending Obama was passe?

What war cry? Please show me where I EVER said i was voting AGAINST Bush in 2008...Dont make stuff up....in invalidates everything else you claim

as for defending Obama....who did that? I answered , I voted for the better candidate and said the same in 2008

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2011