Have You Noticed...

Have you noticed that if you proclaim your faith in God in an answer, you will often times get voted down...a lot? Why is that?

I see so much on here people complaining about how Christians are judgmental, but honestly that's not how it looks when I see how many vote downs I get when I say that I have faith in God and believe Jesus Christ is my savior.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i've noticed it, yes. however, i've noticed the other side of the coin, as well. we can be fairly certain there are a few small-minded people in these sections that simply d/v because they can, and never cease to d/v the opposing team..because they can.
    its particularly amusing when the thread is obviously meant for one-side's viewpoint, as is often labeled as such. some of the d/v'ers can't contain themselves and choose to actually comment on thread's not meant for them, too.
    CM is chock full of entertainment, i tell ya!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Brace yourself. Last few questions like this ticked a few people off. I agree with you.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'm not sure- but it's a real shame! I would not vote someone down for being Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, etc. I guess I would expect the same courtesy from others. Unfortunately, not everyone is so courteous. Your strong faith will get you past those who are critical of you or your faith tho! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Sometimes it's Christians who get the downvotes, other times it's atheists. I guess it depends on which group of trolls haven't had their morning coffee yet.

Dont' take it personally. Everyone has their own idea of what a downvote means. Some use it to attack someone they don't like, some use it to because they don't like an opinion, while others use it because they simply don't share the same opinion.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:00 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I don't think it has to do with whether or not someone believes, but how they represent their belief here in the section. There are members who are more and who are less respected, not because of their beliefs, but because of their behavior here. So sometimes people read a history into responses that others may be unaware of, or read a personality into them that some people aren't familiar with, so that responses that may seem innocent to you may come off sarcastic or rude to others, based on their experience with the member (though I don't know who/what exactly you're talking about so this is generally speaking).

While I believe that the down vote is abused, I still don't think that the abuse of a down vote is anything to get worked up over.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Is it really a big deal if they vote you down? I'm Christian too, but it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't like my answer....or my faith in God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• idk... doesnt bother me..we all have Freedom of religion :)
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You know the negativity goes both ways. There are equal opportunity haters out there.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:47 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• strange...ive never gotten a down vote for saying i believe in God or for being a Christian. maybe its the way its being said thats ticking ppl off...not the actual proclamation of faith.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Oops...I haven't seen any questions like this. Sorry for the repeat. It does not "bother me" when I get voted down...especially because it is done anon...it's just an observation.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2011