Family health history a mystery?

Okay so sadly cancer runs in my family pretty badly. So far, everyone on my Dads side has it or has passed away from it or from treating it. Now I know the fathers genes are more dominate (horrid spelling). So when I got pregnant and started answering questions about the family health history I had to ask my Mawmaw (my Daddy passed away from cancer a few months before my first son was born) about Dads history. I've know that my Pawpaw is my Dads stepdad so I asked if she anything about my Dads bio dad, she got really mad and said last she heard he was dying of cancer in FL. With a little digging I found out he was a horrible man and abusive to the entire family. But I needed to know what kind of cancer or at least his name for me to look. No answers. It offends everyone when its brought up...I try explaining I dont wanna know him or anything I just need to know what are my health risks and my sons....How can I find out this information? They changed their last names so there would be no ties with him..

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 10:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Health

• You could TRY contacting the state health dept, assuming he's passed away, and you MAY be able to get a copy of his death certificate, which should state cause of death/type of cancer. You might even be able to get access to a deceased relative's medical records if you can prove next of kin and provide a valid reason why you should have access to them.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 3:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You might not be able to. My son's fathers family told me that they are all healthy. Yet Schizophrenia has affected 2 people, Biploar with 2 people, breast cancer, heart disease and who knows what else. I only learned that by asking a cousin that talks to me. My son's grandmother is the one that said there are no problems. Other than what I found out, I have NO other health history.

Heck, I don't know much about my own family. My family refuses to talk about things like that. I think if you know that cancer is prevelent in the family, that is enough for doctors.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I thought that as well but there are cancers that tend to be more common and more dangerous in men than in women and because I have two boys, I am more concerned..My dad had colon cancer and his sister had breast and ovarian. Then his brother had skin cancer. there are 5 boys and two girls but only 3 boys (including my dad) and one girl (the one with cancer) were full related the rest are half.
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You are a little misinformed about "I know the fathers genes are more dominate". We get an equal number of chromosomes from our moms and dads (23 each). This entirely depends on the type of cancer. If you are saying all these people died of colon cancer at the age of 35-40, then certainly there's a genetic issue going on in that case. But if one of them died of lung cancer after smoking for 40 years, another person died of liver cancer after drinking heavily for years, and another died of leukemia at the age of 20, then there is much less of a chance that this is due to a particular genetic issue in that family. Sometimes these things are just a combo of bad luck, environmental exposures, and yes, genes.
    klickitykat

• everyones cancer was not self induced. but yeah they smoked and drank and probably let it go longer than it should have. I will try contacting the Health Department but I am unsure of what last name to give due to the fact they changed my Dads and I cant get the name out of anyone.
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2011