There really wasn't a debate?! define a debate?

The question posted in a debate room about whether one thought kids respected their parents more if they had a stay at home mom vs a full time working mom.
In which my reply was based on my own personal "experience". Clearly I offended this anonymous debater..who really just meant to state her OWN opinion.
I've never knocked a full time working mother down as if she is less of a mom. The question was directed about if I "thought" kids respected their moms more or less. In which my reply was ..in my experience, kids opened up to me how "they" felt their parents didn't care about them..which I also added in my post this very claim...(NOT TRUE, just relaying)
So, as I stated it was my "experience" and NOT my Opinion of what the truth was, this person claimed "I" was in fact the closed minded one and how "I" was ignorant.
In the end, I wrote how my opinion is...kids will mold to what they are raised to know...which also eliminates my thoughts of what kids think about the topic altogether.

And people will continue to believe "their issue is my issue".
I believe most parents do the best the can when they raise their children...I will never stand in judgement of One mother's position over another's.
I don't believe MY personal experience is truth for all..it's just what I experienced.

Why ask in a debate room when you really don't have a question but simply your own formed opinion?

So, my debate is this....What is your definition OF a debate? and, is this what people do on here, blast others for their posts? cause heck, I'm not hiding behind an anonymous title...I'm just wondering

momma-t42

Asked by momma-t42 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• What I think a debate in real life is, is people discussing a topic from both angles providing their own evidence, proof, opinions, etc to support their theory.

What I think a debate in Cafemom is, is women doing everything possible to put other people's evidence, proof, opinions, etc down.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• According to the way I see dabates go here (not all but a good chunk of them) it is disagree and vote down. Call each other names and belittle.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Pookiekins hit the nail on the head. Theere are also those "debaters" who feel the need to hijack someone else's question and post a response to everyone who doesn't have the exact same opinion they do. I see this more in the religion and politics areas and less in the parenting, but they are still out there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Thanks pookiekins34 it sure seems that way to me as well.
    momma-t42

Comment by momma-t42 (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• To me a debate would be a disagreement between two opinions and why they are right or wrong.

BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 11:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• two opposing ideas defending and attacking a given proposition....but we are just moms sitting in our house expressing out opinions. Some are better at it then others.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'll be sure to be even MORE cautious about what I write.
    momma-t42

Comment by momma-t42 (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I believe the debate questions are for debate. If you post here my response will be to pick a side and argue it. I fully expect others to do the same. I've even been known to choose the opposite side of how I really feel. I like to play devils advocate.  if that's not the kind of response you're looking for than post your question else where! This is a debate! If you want a touchy feely response try posting in 'relationships'. I allways answer those as if I was talking to my friend or sister.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 11:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• proof is experience......and I was very respectful with my reply. Your issue is not my issue. While you feel guilty for whatever life you live and need to poke at another's opinion has nothing to do with open vs. closed mindedness...haha...I didn't originally make the post. Seems YOU'RE the one with the closed mind beings, I've raised my kids, and you don't like hearing what truth was from the kids who told me what they did. But, you have to live out whatever decisions you've made that you've deemed best for YOUR family. Just as I have mine. And, my children DO and HAVE respected me...I'm glad I stayed home with them...and all I share is what was my experience. come back and write when you've finished raising your kids...I'd love to hear what you have to say then.
    momma-t42

Comment by momma-t42 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• According to the way I see dabates go here (not all but a good chunk of them) it is disagree and vote down. Call each other names and belittle
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2011