Women with Diabetes....

Hi ladies,

I have type 2 Diabetes I'm 25 & married my DH & I started TTC & I got pregnant twice & unfortunately I miscarried both babies, my new doctor told me it was due to my diabetes (which I didn't know I had when I miscarried the babies because the OB I had never told me) so he is helping me control my sugar levels & he said once I have my sugar controlled that I can TTC again & as long as I keep my sugar under control I can have as many babies as I want. Have any of you with Diabetes have had a successful pregnancy? I am a little scared to try because I'm afraid to miscarry again even though my sugar has been controlled. Just need positive comments. Thank you =)

VanillaBlondie8

Asked by VanillaBlondie8 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 8 years ago now....I had a miscarriage and in wanting to find out why requested a full blood workup. My A1c was 11, which is really high. Have you had your A1c done? They want diabetics to be 7 or less. Less, if possible before conceiving.

Now 8 years later I've had two healthy pregnancies and kids, a boy who is 7 and a daughter who is 17 month old. I got pregnant with my son about 6 months after I was diagnosed, my A1c had gone down to 5.7 and I was given the okay to try again and 2 days later I missed AF and got a BFP. My daughter, I wasn't even trying but my A1c was still decent at 6.1! You tend to have to need insulin at some point during your pregnancy...and you'll want to see either a high risk pregnancy OB or a regular OB and an endocrinologist. You'll have to keep good control of your diabetes....CONT
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• CONT....you'll need to test frequently because our numbers can go a little nuts when pregnant, some Dr's prefer no meds during pregnancy, some will let you take them. With my son I was on insulin only...and only ever needed 12 units a day. With my daughter I stayed on metformin and glyburide (glyburide doesn't cross the placenta) and then I started taking 6 units of insulin when I was about 5 months pregnant.

Neither of my children were large because of the control I had of my diabetes. My son was 6 pounds 10 ounces, my daughter 6 pounds 14 ounces. I was induced at 29 weeks with my son because our placentas can deteriorate sooner than a non-diabetic, the induction didn't work and I had him via c-section. My daughter was a c-section as well. She was born a little early because of preeclampsia but that wasn't diabetes related. She did have low blood sugar the first day but recovered just wonderfully.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• So you can absolutely have healthy pregnancies and babies as a diabetic. We may want another in another year or so, but if not we are perfectly happy
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Wow thank you so much sweetie you have made my day & hopeful again, my A1c was at 7 at my last physical which was 2 months ago, when I first found out I had diabetes it was at 11, but it's been going down thank God. I'm on insulin so my new OB who also is a high risk pregnancy OB said if I get pregnant their just going to higher the dosage while I'm pregnant & just keep a close eye on me. Thank you again for your response it's made me feel very positive now =)

VanillaBlondie8

Comment by VanillaBlondie8 (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2011