Am I in the wrong to complain to my daughters school, cuz I feel kind of bad?

So I live right next door to my daughters school and its the last day of school today. Well, they have loud speakers over there and are playing all kinds of Top 40 hits, the song "The Lazy Song" by Bruno Mars came on and I am very familiar with this song and I was thinking, 'I hope they have the edited version" Well they didn't and the specific part I'm talking about is he sings "I'm going to have really good sex" I call over and she is at first snooty with my and I tell her I think the song is inappropriate and I'm not calling about how loud it is or anything I just think that 5th graders don't need to listen to songs talking about sex. The thing that is going on over there now is for 5th graders and my daughter is in Kindergarten so she is inside but I can hear it at my house.

Am I wrong? I don't know why but I feel kind of dumb for calling since it is the last day of school and i'm sure they don't mean anything by it but then again a SHCOOL should know what type of music is being played - oh did I mention that, she said she didn't know what music was being played.

Thanks guys, I feel better now.  I am glad that I complained and yea, I do feel that nothing was done.  The music has since stopped cuz it's over not because I complained but that's fine.  I was just complaining of the one song not the fact they were having fun.  And oh yea I do believe that our kids are over-exposed to sex.  

YellowBaby

Asked by YellowBaby at 11:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's funny how God isn't allowed in school and even though there are some people who do not believe, He isn't going to morally damage a child, yet they are exposed to all kinds of sex crap at school. I do not and will not ever send my child to a public school until it goes back to the way it used to be. And I'm not talking about putting God back in schools, although I will not allow my children in a place that God is not allowed, I'm talking about the teachings of sex in school. It's no longer just about how your body works, it's about how 2 bodies work together and they start it at a young age. Parents would be wise to ask for the sex education curriculum before allowing their children to participate in that class. Of course, sit down and be prepared, it will shock you!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• No, you were correct and I hope they took action. I imagine the music person did not realize or think and it is good that it was brought to their attention. Oh yeah, they should have known and took the necessary precautions to not have this occur.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• If I were you I'd be complaining. There is already enough crap that our kids are exposed to without having their SCHOOL take part in it. Kids are sent to school to learn not hear songs about sex. Now if it were a highschool then I might be a little more understanding but still, its inappropriate. I dont care what day of the year it is, they need to be more conscious of what music they're playing and the effect it will have on their students. Idk I just dont think just because its the last day of school they can lower the standard for whats acceptable, even if they didnt mean anything by it.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'd have complained too.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I don't think they should be exposed to that kind of thing at school, so yeah, I would have complained as well. Good for you!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Today's world is sketchy. You cannot watch the news without Viagra and K-Y ads.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• i don't think you were wrong if you felt like you didn't want your child to hear it.i think schools should be respectful and realize some parents don't want that type of stuff being herd.but me myself don't see a problem with that song I'm sure they have herd it before and way worse.but i do think the school should have had the edited version.

twolilgirls712

Answer by twolilgirls712 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Alot of people complain like that but it generally does no good. I am on the PTA, do cheer after school so we have to choose appropriate music for them to perform to, and there is always a complaint from someone. On top of it with school functions there is usually one person in charge and if they find the music they fine theyll just ignore you.

Answer by gemgem at 11:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You may need to address it higher up - but you are correct. Our kids are over exposed to sex and other adult topics. Thank you for having the nerve to stand up to them - although I doubt it'll help.
    Tess929

Answer by Tess929 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• i would completely complain! I would NOT feel bad either. I complained recently because there was a dance party sort of celebration and played some song about brushing her teeth with Jack Daniels and getting drunk etc. They have made a list of songs. See parents put the music together and I have found that they reallly don't listen to the words. They pick them because they are fun.
    Asastoes

Answer by Asastoes at 11:39 AM on Jun. 10, 2011