Will someone explain....

Why can't bottles go in the microwave? I know about hot spots - but can't you just shake the bottle pretty well when it's done?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 12:11 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, me and the daycare my son used to go to all microwaved formula bottles then shook well and tested before feeding.

breastmilk can't be microwaved because it kills off part of the good stuff in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i microwave my bottles but i only put in about half the water then microwave it and put in the rest of the water so that it doesnt get to hot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• another tip I learned from food network oddly enough, get some wooden chopsticks, like the cheap kind from the take out place, and put one in the bottle. This gives any bubbles that may be created from the microwave a place to escape, they cling to the wood instead of staying in the bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i only micro for 15 seconds then shake well....then test before i use the bottle
    gonnabamomma

Answer by gonnabamomma at 12:20 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• plastics and microwaves don't go together . . . after a while research has shown that bodies absorb plastics into the body when the plastic is nuked
    feb2768

Answer by feb2768 at 12:27 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Clear plastic baby bottles (as well as some food containers and water bottles) are made of polycarbonate, which contains a chemical called Bisphenol A (BPA). It is the BPA that makes the hard, clear plastic bottles. BPA’s chemical bond with polycarbonate breaks down over time, especially with repeated washing or heating of the bottle. As a result, BPA leaches out of the plastic and ends up in the liquid—that is, the breast milk or formula.
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 12:36 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• The microwave heats both the milk and the container...and the container won't cool so quickly.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:41 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i always put my daughters bottle in the microwave..i boiled the water..put the water in the bottles, then whenever it was time for a bottle i would grab it outta the fridge pop it in themicrowave for a few seconds, shake it realllllllly good..then add the formula..i did that and never have had any problems..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:48 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I had a small crock pot that I kept filled with water and turned on low all day. When it was time for a bottle, I filled it and stuck it in the crock pot for a minute or two, then a guick shake and its ready, it was so easy. I did this because of the BPA (microwave factor)
    JaidensMom2007

Answer by JaidensMom2007 at 1:59 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• The chemicals in the plastic (BPA) can leech into the milk. I'm not sure if BPA free ones (glass or BPA free plastic like the Born Free brand) can go into the microwave. My son is breastfed, so I'm not really well versed in bottle protocol. ; )

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:59 AM on Dec. 11, 2008