Business question????

I am thinking of starting a jewelry business. I love making handmade jewelry and I am wanting a job I can do from home so I can be with my family. The only thing I have no Idea where to start. I have seen alot of you on here suggest a business plan. Still, I have no idea where to start for even that. Any suggestions or websites that might help? Thanks......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• Are you talking about making jewelry? Being a middle man between a producer and retail? Selling on line? What are you thinking?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Yes, just selling online, Etsy, maybe even starting jewelry parties.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Artfire is good and it's free too for a regular membership
    kealey

Answer by kealey at 11:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I actually have a bachelors degree in Entrepreneurial Venture so I might be able to help. There is an awesome (kind of pricey) computer program called Business Plan Pro that will help you write a business plan by asking you a ton of questions step by step and then formats the plan for you. You will need it if you plan to ask for money. You will have to get a business license/register your business. I assume you want to it to be an LLC or sole proprietary. Another thought is to get a few books from the library on writing a business plan or starting a business. Consider taking an Entrepreneurial business class at your community college. At the end of the course you will have finished a business plan for the class project. Send me a message if you have questions.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:47 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You can even just get Writting Business Plans for Dummies or Idiots Guide to Business Plans at the library. These are basically like writting down your plans for starting and running a business and every aspect involved. As far as for a simple Etsy store you don't really need to have a business plan if you don't want to. You should at least sit down and calculate the costs of making each piece, price your time for making each piece and double that for profit. Handmade jewelry can sometimes be a tough sell because they have to be priced kinda high in order for a profit to be made. So, the simpler and classic the pieces are, the more affordable and long lasting they are the more likely they will be to sell
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Etsy ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2011