IYO, what is the youngest you would charge someone as an adult?

2 teens charged with murdering their NM foster mom

AP
By JERI CLAUSING, Associated Press Jeri Clausing, Associated Press - Thu Jun 9, 6:24 pm ET

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Two 15-year-old girls who went missing after their foster mother was killed have been apprehended and charged with murdering her, Lincoln County authorities said Thursday.

A search for the teens began after Evelyn Miranda, 53, who was specially trained to take in troubled youths, was found dead Wednesday morning of apparent asphyxiation. The girls and the woman's van were missing from her home in the small Hondo Valley community of San Patricio.

The teens were caught about 12 hours later at a home in Carlsbad, about 120 miles away, after police got a tip, Lincoln County Undersheriff Robert Shepperd said. Each was charged with one open count of murder, which lets prosecutors determine the degree of the charge at a later date.

Police in Roswell, which is on the way from San Patricio to Carlsbad, found the dead woman's minivan Thursday morning.

Sheriff's officials released few others details about the case. The girls, from Roswell and Mescalero, were in the Chavez County juvenile detention center in Roswell pending a custody hearing, officials said.

Prosecutors will have to decide whether to charge the girls as adults, as New Mexico gives district attorneys the authority to prosecute anyone over 14 in adult court.

According to prosecutors, one of the girls had recently been arrested on battery charges and had been put on a year's probation less than a week ago and ordered to spend time in a "treatment foster home." Miranda was a treatment foster parent, meaning she had undergone extra training to accommodate such children.

Enrique Carlos Knell, of the New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department, said treatment foster homes are separate from state-licensed foster homes for abused and neglected children. The treatment homes are facilities where parents can voluntarily send their troubled children, and they are also used by the juvenile courts as an alternative to sending kids to psychiatric facilities, he said.

Friends and neighbors told the Albuquerque Journal that Miranda was a loving, generous person with two grown children who had been taking in foster children for years. She also served the homebound elderly.

"Everybody's still in shock," Sandra Romero, who described herself as a lifelong friend of Miranda's. "She was just a fun-loving person. She always had a smile, always cared for anybody and everybody."

She provided foster parenting through Mesilla Valley Therapeutic Foster Care, based in Ruidoso. Officials there said they were prohibited from discussing the case due to patient confidentiality laws.

********************************************

12-Year-Old Boy Faces Hearing In Colorado For Fatally Shooting His Parents, Wounding His Siblings

The 12-year-old Burlington, Colorado boy accused of killing his parents and critically injuring his younger siblings appeared in court for a pretrial hearing Monday morning.

On March 1, the bodies of Charles and Marilyn Long, the boys parents, were found shot to death in their Burlington, Colorado home. The boy's two younger siblings, 5-year-old Sarah and 9-year-old Ethan were gravely wounded, but not killed, according to a CBSNews report. After allegedly firing upon his family, the 12-year-old boy called 911 to report that members of his family had been shot.

9News reports that the suspect is facing nine charges: two first-degree murders charges, two attempted murder counts and multiple counts of assault which are associated with the almost fatal wounds he allegedly administered to his younger brother and sister with both a knife and firearm.

According to CBSNews, the Long family's church pastor Ron Lee said the 12-year-old boy was active in their church, frequently handing out church bulletins, greeting church visitors before Sunday service, working with audio and video equipment, running Powerpoint presentations and helping children learn memory verses.

But, the big question on everyone's mind at the hearing was: Do you try a 12-year-old accused killer as an adult or as a minor? The Denver Post reports that District Attorney Bob Watson will have 30 days to decide to request a transfer hearing in which the judge could then decide to try the boy as an adult.

In a statement to The Denver Post, Watson said:

Half of a community will want me shot if I give a kid anything other than a hug, the other half of a community wants me shot if I don't go as far as life.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• By the age of 12, a developmentally normal child is perfectly capable of comprehending the implications of their actions.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• 12 or 13 but that depends on the mental capacity of the kid who committed the crime.
    bellagracie82

Answer by bellagracie82 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• How sad !! I guess an eye for an eye. The problem is that alot kids these days have no respect or fear of elders and the authorities. Parents need to teach them or help them when they are young - whatever the case. Instead too many put them on" behavior meds" and expect that to take care of other problems.. What happened to the pareniting skills??
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Maybe they could make the parents liable for some of the consequences of their minor children, it could help change the way they disciple and teach right from wrong.....or deal with problems instead of ignoring or blaming other things.....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• 10
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• 10 year olds don't even have pubic hair...are you kidding me?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I say 15 maybe 14, depending on the circumstances.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 10:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I can't give an age. Depends on the crime, and the circumstances. But in these two cases, yes, they should be. As far as the pubic hair goes, since people can be 'born' crazy, or psychopaths, then having no pubic hair means nothing IMO.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Really, to me it depends on the crime, the facts of the case, and the child/person themselves. I've met 5 yr olds who were more mature than some 30 yr olds I've met. Not that I would say a 5 yr old should be charged as an adult, because they obviously wouldn't have the mental ability to understand what they did, its severity or any of the consequences (at least, none of the ones I know), but my point is age isn't necessarily reflective of mental ability or maturity. I would say, though, that for a normally developed child, with no delays, disabilities, or anything else, probably age 10 or so. My oldest is 10, and he understands that killing someone is wrong, that stealing is wrong, etc.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• so sad
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2011