I rescued an older dog and he has turned out to be a little vicious. Any suggestions? I don't want to give up on him yet and send him back

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Pets

• Contact the shelter where you rescued him from, and see if they have an animal behavior person on staff to help you with some training. Or any shelter, if you just found him. Also, maybe he has a medical problem that is making him cranky, take him to the vet and have a physical done. He could have an ear problem, or athritis in his neck? Just an idea. Sorry that this is happening, all of my dogs were rescues, I know this is probably breaking your heart!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• What does he do?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Are you sure he's being vicious or is he just trying to play? My boxer gets really rough when he plays and he sounds really vicious, but in reality, he's just playing and is not trying to hurt anyone. A dog will not be wagging their tail, if they are POed about something. If you have small kids and the dog is truely vicious, then you need to find a more appropriate place for the dog period. That is an alpha dog thing that they usually cannot or will not be trained out of. GL
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 12:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• He growls and snaps at our hands whenever we handle his collar
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• He's twelve and the play years are over for him that is like 80 yrs old in comparison
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'm sorry to hear that. I have given up dogs that do that because I will not allow a vicious dog around. Even if they don't bite you, they could bite someone coming to your home and that's a major liability. You have to figure out if being sued or knowing a dog scarred a child is worth it. And by the way, I'm a MAJOR animal lover, so it's not like I'm against ANY kind of animal at all.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• The dog belonged to my veterinarian who got divorced and she couldn't care for him anymore, after 2 months of him living at the office I decided to bring him home.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Do you chain him up, is he an outside dog, or indoor dog,, I would remove his collar, unless he was needing to be walked. You could also have treats in your hand and in a calm voice touch his neck,, good doggie, treat,, pet some more,, good doggie, treat,, he will begin to asscociate his collar with a treat!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Dogs bite eachother around the ears and neck to show dominance. He thinks you are trying to dominate him when you grab his collar. He thinks he is the alpha dog, which is not good, but fixable. Are there any training classes in your area? If you call your local shelter they should be able to give you a list of classes.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Our Akita mix doesn't like being handled by the collar or any physical correction. He will growl and gets very nervous. It helps to put him on a leash if he must be lead with his collar. If we have to pull on his collar for any reason, we try talking on soothing tones and praise, reassure him. Why are you grabbing the dog collar anyway? Are you pulling him around or just trying to put a leash on? Do you have a dog crate for him to be in and relax? My guy also did put him to the floor and dominated him when he growled and snapped at us when he was being physically corrected, haven't had much problem since.
    Elena G.

Answer by Elena G. at 1:25 AM on Jun. 13, 2011