Swimming Pools-(Set up yourself type swimming pools)--Hardsided, Frame or Ring pools. Are you happy/unhappy with yours?? Please?

There are more choices today with backyard, above ground swimming pools. You can just go pick one up yourself at WalMart and other competitive stores.
We want to purchase one this weekend and I was wondering what people are happy with or unhappy with about their pools.

If you purchased a:
"Hard-sided" pool
"Frame" pool
"Ring" pool

Which one do you have and just a few quick Pros or Cons would be so helpful and help us from possibly making a big mistake because we have never had one. This is where your experience can help so much.

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 12:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Two years ago, we bought a pool at WalMart (or KMart, can't remember) for $200. It has a vinyl liner in a PVC frame, whichever kind that is. It is 15 feet across, and 4.5 ft deep. I really love it. Now, it has had a few leaks, and I guess that is a drawback, but for the money, I'm not complaining, just stating a fact. It came with a ladder, a pump/filter, tools (brush, screen, vacuum, etc), and a cover. The cover is a little cumbersome to use, we have heavy-duty clamps that we already had to secure it in place. I'm not complaining, again, it was a great value for the money. The reason that I love it is because we can disassemble it in the fall and put it away until next year. I don't know if you can do that with a hard-sided pool. We drain it, clean it out, and dry it out then pull it apart and put it away in our greenhouse where it stays nice and dry! Whatever you get, I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• We have a frame pool and we love it. This is our 3rd summer using our current one. Our first one lasted 3 summers. If you store them properly in the winter, they will last for at last 2-3 years. The only drawback is that the filter isn't the greatest. I'm actually getting ready to go get in mine right now!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I've had them all including an inground, which I LOVED and really miss. If I had the money and couldn't do inground, I would go for the hardsided, next the frame, then last the ring. The ring I found if it wasn't completely level or there wasn't enough water in, it collapsed. It also would poof out on the bottom.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• We've purchased one for this summer. We are now waiting for the ground to be dug down about 6 inches (this will happen this weekend) then we need to put a plastic liner (not sure what that's called over the freshly dug ground and then fill in the liner with sand and then level the sand. Finally we will be able to set up the pool. Ours looks like interlocking tubes that fit around it. Everyone I've talked to about them even here on CM say they are a great fun investment. We are looking forward to it being usable before the kids get out of school next Friday! Good Luck with yours and enjoy it all summer long.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I have a frame pool. 15' x 4' 4th summer. Invest in a larger filter. The one that comes with is too small & burns up in one summer.
    I had to patch a few leaks at the seam this year.

Patching: use blue permatex (in the auto section) and a piece of plastic or latex. I used a dish glove. The permatex works under water.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 12, 2011