What age?

do you think it is OK to leave children alone for a couple hours?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sure if they are old enough and mature enough. We occasionally leave our 4 older kids alone. They are 10, 9, 8 and 5. If we're going to be gone longer than an hour the 5yo comes with us and the older 2 have each stayed by themselves for a couple hours. My kids are very self-reliant and responsible. I don't even think twice about it. They don't do anything but sit and watch TV while we're gone. Just like I did when I was a kid when I was home alone (I was 8 and in charge of my 6yo brother for hours at a time... we enjoyed it).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• When you think they're responsible enough to not burn the house down.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think it goes more by maturity level than age. Some 16 year olds aren't even mature enough to stay home by themselves.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I agree maturity is a must. My mom would leave us at home once we were 12 or 13 but only for a few hours at a time. Apparently she had the neighbour keeping an eye out for us.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2011