After birth,, when is it ok to start working out?

and does working out affect breastfeeding in anyway?!

pipsqueak01

Asked by pipsqueak01 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• No effects on breastfeeding, just make sure your diet is adequate (no less than 1600 calories a day). It's recommended you wait until you have your doctor's clearance at the 6 weeks appointment to start working out. I started my walks around 2 weeks after my c-section.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• it all depends on what your doctor thinks
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 12:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Depending on how accustomed you are to exercise. For example, if you were a regular exerciser up until your last month of pregnancy, then it would probably be easy for your body to get right back into it. But if you are new to exercise, go easy and start slow. Breast feeding takes most women about 500 extra calories per day to maintain (exclusively BFing, I mean), so don't freak if you start getting really hungry once you start exercising -- between cals you burn exercising and BFing, you need the extra food! Checking w/ your doc/midwife is certainly a safe recommendation, especially if this is your first baby. Congrats on your baby, on BFing, and on your desire to exercise :)
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 11:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I would talk to your doctor first
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2011