What do you consider to be a comfortable living for a middle class family?

What is the over all income you think a family should have to live comfortably? I'm not really sure, so that's why I'm asking for opinions. Thanks in advance.

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 12:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• depends - where?
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 12:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Well, I live in Texas
    lowencope

Comment by lowencope (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• it depends on many factors. we live quite comfortably in our neck of the woods, and dh's income is in the Top 5%. his same income in, say San Francisco or Chicago may not be so 'up there'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Can I get a per year ballpark figure please?
    lowencope

Comment by lowencope (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Depends on where you live and what you consider to be "middle class".

I'll use myself as an example. Where I live, in order to live a traditional middle class life style (using the traditional idea of middle class: able to pay all bills on time and in full every month, comfortable afford housing, comfortable afford health insurance, able to put a percentage of income into savings every month..and so on), let's say a family of 4.. That family must make over $100,000 a year. Of course I live in downtown/city center of a medium sized (close to a million people) city.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• We live in northern Indiana, the rust belt.... And dh makes 60,000 a year. We live very comfortably. However with that being said, if our house wasn't paid off already, and dhs car wasnt we would probably be a less comfortable. It all depends on what you have coming out of your bank account every month.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I would love to be middle class
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think a *comfortable* living would include:
    A nice home (not opulent), with enough bedrooms for everyone to have one and no less than two bathrooms with showers/tubs; with payments (rent or mortgage) of not more than 33% of income.
    A food budget that allows for regular (4-5x a month) dining out, and a few really nice dinners out a year, in addition to basic healthy staples on a regular basis.
    Access to health care without worry about being able to afford a copay, let alone further treatments
    A vehicle (not new/expensive, but adequate) for each driver in driving dependent areas, with enough money for regular maintenance and gas
    Ability for some leisure activities, though tradeoffs/decisions would be made

Although, largely, I think that once you get over the poverty level "comfortable" is more of a state of mind than the material possessions. Your definition of a nice home, dining out, acceptable vehicles, etc.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 12:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I like your desciption Kate, I'm not a material girl.
    lowencope

Comment by lowencope (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Unfortunately it depends on so much that just saying you're from Texas doesn't help much. There are probably parts of Texas where $30K/year would be a comfortable living and other parts where it wouldn't even cover the bills.

With that being said, I've seen people say that a certain yearly income is very comfortable and yet my DH makes over that and I don't consider us "very comfortable." So I guess maybe it also goes by what you consider "comfortable."
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2011