Is it okay to be done breast feeding before one year...

I mean is is going to make him sick if I switch to formula? I am just so tired of breast feeding! He is 6 months old and I know not every body goes to one year and all but do I have to like slowly put him on formula so he won't get sick from it. I know when you switch a dog to a new food you do it slowly... I know he's not a dog but the concept makes sense!! He will drink a little juice out of a bottle and my milk sometimes but all I have is a hind pump so it's only when I go out and stuff. If I need to pump more so I can mixx it or something I can I guess. I jsut want to be done!

ClaireWithChild

Asked by ClaireWithChild at 12:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No it won't make him sick. I stop breast-feeding at 7 months. I did because my own husband and his family kept pushing me to stop.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• holy cow, yes. if its not working for the two of you, then stop.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• If you're ready to wean, you can try alternating between feedings of formula from a bottle and feedings from the boob. That way you'll see how he reacts to digesting formula. Note:it will change his BMs, don't panic when they change. You can continue alternating for as long as you want, too.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Yes. I stopped at 6 months with ds because he began to cluster feed, and it was stressing me out, and made it very hard to keep up my supply. Don't mix breast milk with formula. Just do one formula feeding a day, then go to two, then three... And so on.... That is how we changed my son over. It won't make him sick.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I nurse all my babys after one and untill there ready to stop but if you are for sure wanting to ween then I would transition to only feedings at nap time and bed time and start by putting a third of your milk in a bottle and then a quarter of formula and to that for a few days and then half and half for another 3 days and so on. It will make him very sick if you just put him straight on formula cause its harder for them to digest.GL
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It's about when it's right for mom and baby, and if you're not happy with nursing, then it might be time to stop. Try not to make it a sudden change, start with one feeding a day and go from there. At least now he's also got solids. Health-wise, it's best to go for at least a year (WHO recommends at least 2 years), but that's not the right option for everyone.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Wow Im a little shocked at the other responses cause my experiance with children have had very bad diahrea from when there moms switched them to fomula so there doc recommended mixing breast milk in and that helped. All in all dont take our advice, I would ask your childs ped. cause your baby is only 6 months and you dont want to make his little tummy hurt if you can get around that.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Yep. I stopped at 6 weeks with my first one and 6 months with my second.
    bellagracie82

Answer by bellagracie82 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Yes, it is YOUR CHOICE and perfectly fine. My kids did fine with formula after I stopped and no problems with their digestive systems.
    Just don't let anyone make you feel bad about your choices as a Mom.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It should not make the baby sick,6 months of age u could use 2% milk. Ask the doctor. I started milk at 6 months.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2011