Birth control is to be used every time you have s*x............. adult content

Is it just me or does it seem that there are a lot of women that don't understand this?
I was lucky that in Junior high I had a science teacher twice that taught us Sex education and did so very well. You didn't leave his class thinking that you couldn't get pregnant the first time, or that you only needed to use birth control when you are ovulating.
A friend of mine got pregnant and is was upset that her birth control 'failed'. She was using condoms and she only used them when she thought she was ovulating. You have to use them every time you have sex. Also In my book if you really don't want to get pregnant then you should be using another method as well.

I don't get it. When I started seeing my first boyfriend not only did I read all kinds of books on birth control and sex, I called the 1800 numbers on the products I was using to make sure they were going to be used correctly! Not to mention the questions I had for my doctor.
I know some women find this ghastly, but I've never let a man put a condom on himself. I used the ones I had. I'd open them up and put them on to make sure they were rolled all the way to the base and that the air was out of the reservoir tip. That and I knew that these condoms had not been left in a hot glove compartment in a car! Don't get me started about STDs.
I'll get off my soap box now, but what some people seem to believe to be true about birth control and sex education scares me.

Edit: I know that birth control methods are not 100%, I'm not talking about actual birth control failure. I'm talking about when women are upset that they got pregnant when they didn't use it every time, and didn't use it correctly, or if only one method was used.

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• Um...I always knew I was supposed to; however, I didn't. LOL. That's why I got my tubes tied after my second child.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 12:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I feel ya girl. There are SO many birth control options out there, there's at least one that's a good option for everyone. If you're not using birth control, you're trying to get pregnant. Period. I get frustrated about this, too. I'm studying to be a midwife and I've been a sexual health counselor, so I see this, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Why should be use BC every time they have sex? If they can afford to have kids and want kids who cares what they do behind closed doors. Everyone knows about STDs and BC they just choose not to listen to it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• oh btw...i didn't want to sound slutty or anything...I've only ever been with one man...my DH
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 12:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Birth control is not 100% I have a 6 month old to prove it.
    ClaireWithChild

Answer by ClaireWithChild at 12:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I know that not all women use it every time they have sex and that is their choice. It just gets me how so many women are upset and call it a birth control failure in that case.
    The birth control didn't fail in that case, the user did!
    ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

•  Everyone knows about STDs and BC they just choose not to listen to it.

From what I'm hearing from women, friends included, no they don't. I hear teenagers and adults claiming things like 'you only need to use birth control if you are ovulating' or 'if you ony  have anal or oral sex then you aren't at risk for STDs '

There's a lot of misconceptions about birth control, and that's the topic I'm talking about. In general I don't care what people do behind closed doors, but I find it surprising when I hear about women getting upset that they got pregnant when they didn't use it properly.

ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• clairechild is correct. I always get pregnant on BC. Hormonal BC just doesnt work for my body.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Unfortunately, some people think they're immune, and they don't have anything happen to them the first time they don't use something, which just reinforces that. Plus, with the abstinence-only push, there's a lack of accurate information and education that a lot of people are getting, because some administrations (ahem BUSH) think that abstinence only works. People need to know the truths about NOT being abstinent, and how to prevent diseases and pregnancy if they choose NOT to be abstinent.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It's sad but a lot of schools don't teach about sex education today
    My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 12:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2011