Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

So which is it for weaning...

Just stop. start with every other feeding as a bottle, drop a feeding every few days mix formula and breast milk, don't mix it..... Do I just need to go to the doctor to ask them? Who do I ask the Ped. or my doctor? Everyone seems to have different ideas as to how you are supposed to do this.

Answer Question

Asked by ClaireWithChild at 12:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 10 (401 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Ask the ped.

    Answer by dancer at 12:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • you need to ask the pediatrician

    Answer by mamawilbur at 12:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • You have to do what is best for you. Ideally, it is best to wean gradually. In our situation, I had to stop cold turkey (there is a really long story behind why). But, I felt terrible about it and wish I had gradually weaned him instead. Some people feel just stopping is best and others feel that gradual weaning is best. I think you need to do what you are comfortable with. You know your child best. Best of luck to you.

    Answer by MommyH2 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • Don't mix them. You're not supposed to do it cold turkey without a medical reason. It can shock their GI tract. Ideally, you'll start with one feeding a day and then go to two a day, and so forth. I'm working on becoming a lactation consultant, and this is the current recommendation. Pediatricians are NOT breastfeeding experts. You can consult a lactation consultant for the most accurate information.

    Answer by musicpisces at 12:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • DO NOT ASK THE PEDIATRICIAN! They don't know diddly about breastfeeding. I've seen peds give advice that left mom in extreme pain.

    Drop ONE feeding per week till gone. DO NOT bind your breasts. Do not go cold turkey. One feeding per week till gone. Replace with formula if baby is under a year. However you like if over a year.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • Ask ped or consult a lactation cosultant they are very helpful with thees kind of questions.

    Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • I agree with musicpisces...definitely call your local hospital and ask to speak to an LC. They will give you the best advice!

    Answer by MommyH2 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • Listen to gdiamante, she knows what she is talking about.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.