3 week old tummy troubles

My nephew, who is 3 weeks old acts like he has an upset stomach. She is switching from pumped breast milk to reg. Formula. could this be why? What else would cause him to have a stomach ache? She says he has burped and has had regular bms....

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 12:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that could be why
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 12:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Might need a formula change,how long has he been on formula? Tummy needs time to adjust.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Formula can indeed upset a baby's tummy. If she wants to go back to breast she can. Otherwise she will be playing formula roulette till she finds one that works.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• He might be adjusting to the milk. It could also be gas. Mylicon drops (or a generic equivelant) saved our sanity when Dd was young. They sell them at target walmart and drug stores. Give 2-4 times a day, every day. It is a life saver!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Well, he has been on 2pz of formula and 2oz of breast milk for about a week now. She said he is on reg. Formula,
    BabyBugsmama

Comment by BabyBugsmama (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My little girl had problems with regular formula, so I had to switch her to Nurtramagin. Then when she had more problems, we went to soy, Nutramagin fixed alot but we eventually found shes allergic to milk. So I'd try Nutramagin, but also try talking to his pediatrician, but my guess is he'll have to have special formula. Hope it gets better!
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• That's likely the reason. There's a HUGE difference between the two. The tummy is designed for breastmilk. Did she switch cold turkey? A gradual change is best for allowing the GI tract to adjust, but sometimes that isn't possible, I know.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• She is only getting 2 oz every time she pumps, so should she save the breast milk and do one whole feeding of breast milk, and then the other feedings do formula?
    BabyBugsmama

Comment by BabyBugsmama (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I would say she needs to still mix it, but perhaps the brand she is using is upsetting his tummy, I would switch brands, and still mix the breast milk with it, as PP said, gas drops work wonders!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• That has to be the reason. Tell her to call her local hospital and ask to speak to the LC there. They will help her!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2011