Are you openminded or closed minded when it comes to your children?

I find this to be a constant on here so i was just wondering myself if you are closed minded about your children or open minded. do you take in others opinion. do you seek others opinion and really consider it because we don;t know everything as a parent. i am not saying that your way is wrong but sometimes trying different things others do works out. or do you say no no way i am not going to do it that way. i am going to only do it my way.

for example, i knew someone that her sil would not vaccinate or even take the kid out and was going to home school them because she was very over protective. this person also wanted others to get vaccinations because the kid was not vaccinated.

even though that person did not want to get the flu vaccination why push something like this on others. i believe its very closed minded to have someone else get vaccinated but you wont vaccinate your kid but if you are going to be around my kid you need to be vaccinated. this is my example.

so i was wondering what everyone else thinks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think there are a lot of moms who have lots of great ideas and ways to do things better, easier or that make more sense.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I am very open about my kids. They are who they are, they will be who they will be... If it makes them happy and won't hurt them, I say go for it!

BUT, as a non-vax mom (although my son is in school, I'm far from protective) I would love to see every child out there be vax free! And I do spread that message, it's a passion. In fact both my website and my new Blog have a huge section on the subject. Most people who don't vax do it because they feel it's best for their child, and they don't want to see anyone else's child receiving treatments they feel aren't best either. It's not that they aren't being open minded, just that they want the best for CHILDREN, not just their own!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I would like to think open but who knows... Even though I am a therapist who works with parents and children I still have our own family therapist for suggestions and feed back. So in that way I say open. I'm cool with my child leading the way with his prefrences and passions as well as dislikes. So I guess open in that way too. I have some very strong views about his developmental and educational needs and we seek out other professionals to optimize his potential and coordinate his care. With that I'm going to guess I am semi closed in my basic thoughts on educational process and tge school he attends but open to suggestions from his team of professionals on ways to improve at school and home. I am very closed kn the spanking issue - we do not ever. Very closed on some basic parenting issues in regards to punishment. But I have so far never met a professional who disagreed.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• And open on religion and my child. It's all good and we attend a type of spiritual fellowship known for accepting every spiritual faith and thought that is out there.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'm open minded when it comes to my kids. If I'm doing something that I don't think works or think there must be a better way to do it I will ask on here or of friends of mine. Chances are someone else has had a similar issue. I also pick and choose, from other's advise or strategies, what would work best for my family.

Most people who don't vax do it because they feel it's best for their child,

I vax because I feel it's best for my child. I have listened to the resons to not vax and decided that it would be best for my kids to be vaccinated. No disrespect to those who don't, I'm not looking to start an issue. I researched both and made my decision. Just an example of my openmindedness.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Obviously that woman was the extreme. I think there is another extreme. When a parent is wishy washy in thier rules/discipline and has no self confidence in his/her own ability to parent. These people that give up on their kids or try to be a friend instead of a parent. Thankfully I believe most of us fall somewhere in the middle, because you have to be set in your ways and insistent on discipline. At the same time you have to be willing to admit that you are not perfect/parent of the year and so, able to take advice and change strategy. I am somewhere in the middle and hope to stay that way.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• ok this was not a vax question this way just a example of what i was getting at about openmind or closemind. please do not think this is a vaccinating question. please do not answer about vaccination. this questions does not pretain to that. thanks for everyones answers.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It probably depends on the topic.. if I am asking a question I am open to others -- at other times I am answering a question I feel strongly about then not so much!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 1:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• camilletnt, you make a good point. do you feel people on cm are more closed minded when they are the ones answering specific questions? and do you think people that ask the questions are more open minded?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• open on somethings, closed on others. like manners...my mind is closed. manners are important to me & my kids will be well-mannered. i dont care if another mom thinks its forcing kids to be who they arent, mine will be good. im also closed minded on the importance of good grades. but im open minded on things like my kids personal likes & dislikes...id never make DS play football cause i like it or make my DD wear a skirt b/c i think she should. they can like whatever the want so long as its safe & legal.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2011