Hitting? What to do about it?

My toddler hits. We don't spank in this house, but I have done it once before and it's a laughable manuver since she thinks it's ok to hit after you do it.

How do you get it to stop? Time outs? What have you done that has worked. She's 22 months by the way, and I am hoping it's a face. My husband and her rough house around a lot, so I think she's just confused about what's ok and not ok...

celticreverie

Asked by celticreverie at 12:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ok same with the no's
    If i tell them no. they stop do it agian and again they have 3 trys...If not they do it the 3rd time. I go pick them up put them in my lap make them sit there a min facing the other way..so you dont see there face if you have to hold there arms. a min is up they tend to stop what ever. at this age a min is a long time...after she turns 2do 2 mins

I hope this helps it does for my 17 month old twisn
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• thanks a ton. will do the 3 warning attempt :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:30 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• we do it when they are touching something there not expose to..hitting and thowing... they usully laugh at this act like it dont bother you...
    but now usully i have to tell them '"no sir" 1 time they stop..tg.
    rememebr at this age they are testing you.
    Be strong have fun gl
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• whew! I thought there was something wrong with my ds. He's started hitting and kicking and head butting and throwing things in the past month. He bit his brother for the first time over the weekend and I do spank so I spanked him and made him stand in the corner. I'm still sorta on the fence about spanking though. Nothing else seems to get his attention though. I'm thinking of just holding him still for a couple of minutes as that worked at the park. He's good about standing in time out though.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 1:16 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Before I had kids I witnessed my best friend whipping her son because he hit his sister. As she whipped him she was saying to him, "We do not hit, it is not nice!" It was the craziest thing I ever saw! I suggest using a time out procedure in one location. Use very little talking, just say "This is time out for hitting, biting, kicking, etc" Help them to sit by holding them on your lap if necessary. One minute per age.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2008