Mind your P's & Q's because they are Going to Die

I had a falling out with my parents. It's going on 9 months since we've last spoken to each other. Usually when I tell someone this, I often times will get the response of "you should make up with them because you might regret it when they die."

Do you think people should live their lives putting up with nastiness and crap and disrespect and drama and Lord only knows whatever else from their parents because there's a chance they may have regrets once their parents die?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 1:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• Put up with crap? No. Stand your ground and do not retreat? Yes.

I stood my ground with my dad, FINALLY, after a long period of retreating. And I am glad that I did because life got better and I had no regrets when he died.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Abuse over and over again NO.. but for a falling out here and there yes.. That is part of being a family. We have fights, disagree and sometimes things get out of hand...There are member's of my family I don't like most of the time, but for family dinners, holidays etc.. I can put up with them.. Of course I lock my wallet up.. I don't mind my P's and Q's, I speak my mind and move on.. I am not the type that holds onto old news..

I think each person has to make that decision based on the relationship..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My whole family on my dads side are very rude and disrespectful people that I really dont approve of the way they live their life or how they treat others. I have learned to just except them for who they are...I know how they are so I never expect anything from them. They are my family and I love them I just dont really like them all that much. To me life is too short to waste my time hating or ignoring someone I dont want to be that kinda person either. Good luck dear and dig deep.

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 1:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think that is a bad way to go through life, putting up with crap because eventually the other person/people will die. What I've started doing is trying to limit contact with toxic family and when I actually cannot avoid them, put on a smile and just try to get through the time with minimal drama. The only time I stand up is when my kids are treated badly. They can say whatever they want about me, usually behind my back but my kids are off limits. That is one situation I don't mind my P's and Q's and couldn't care less who I piss off.
    Anonymous

• its not fair to take anybody crap luv them at a distance..
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2011