Question for those that work in education

I see a lot of people complain that parents don't do their job of preparing a child for school. what does 'preparing a child for school' mean to you.
Can you give a example of a child that you considered to be prepared for school and one that was not?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• My mom is a retired early education specialist and taught pre-k and kindergarten for many years. Her best advice is to read, read, and read some more to your children. Talk about what you've read, count things in the pictures, point out and name the letters, and have them tell you stories about the characters in the books. Do these things whether or not you send your children to organized pre-school and they'll be ready for kindergarten.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Having your child attend preschool is a biggie. Those that do not attend preschool are generally behind their peers that did attend preschool. Also, making sure they can count to 10 and sing their ABCs is important. Kindergarten isn't for learning these things anymore...it's for learning how to read and do math. It's changed so much since we went to school. At our school they are tested on alphabet recognition before they even start school. Those that can't identify their letters will receive extra support from the reading teacher to try to catch them up as quick as possible.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Preschool isn't necessary. Parents can easily work with children at home. My child never went to preschool and was WAAAAAAAAY ahead of all his preschooled friends in K.

School districts vary. Some say children need to know how to count and letters before you go in. Others teach colors, letters, numbers, and all the other basics at school in K.
    Anonymous

• I said they are "generally" behind those that didn't attend! No need to down vote me. I have seen kids that don't attend preschool be just fine but that is b/c they had parents that worked with them. But, if you are not reading with them and working with them and still not sending them to preschool (which is what I see more often) then they are not as prepared as their peers.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Also, you are right anon about districts varying. The district I work in is the top district in my county and they do expect the kids to come in knowing more than others. In our state, each district is able to set up their own screening process for kindergarten so it definitely varies.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I just made sure that my children could do the following before kindergarden; Know the alphabet, count to at least 10 consistently, know how to recognize and draw basic shapes, know how to hold a pencil and write their first name, know all body parts (around here they ask kids where their hip, ankle, etc are) tie their shoes, know when their birthday is and their address, and they can state their full name. I think this is a pretty good start...oh, and how to use a pair of scissors

salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2011