PUMPING?

When is the best time to pump so I have breast milk on hand....So when I want to go out for a while. Should I do it when I finish a feeding? can your breast actually dry out if you pump and feed too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The more you pump and the more you feed the more you will make.
    The best time is in the morning, after her first good feeding, or still early in the morning when she goes down for her first nap.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Candi nailed the answer for you. You cannot dry out.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• ^^Yeah, the more milk you express, the more milk you'll make.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'll answer the second question first. No Way! The more you pump and feed the more you make. However, you will have to eat more or you will start to loose too much weight.
    Best time to pump depends on your routine. If you normally only feed from one side you can pump the other side while feeding (this works best if you can do it since you usually let down both at once).Otherwise you'll have to wait till after feeding. If your baby uses most of your supply during a normal feeding you will have an hour or so before pumping to partially rebuild your supply. Pumping will encourage more milk to be let down. When you pump you should try to pump out your full supply at that time, more new milk will be produced this way.
    Kalic0

Answer by Kalic0 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I used to pump while I nursed. Baby on one side, pump on the other. I would get TONS of milk this way!! You can also pump after Baby is done nursing, to make sure Baby get enough, and you get the leftovers. Pumping while nursing gives you the added benefit of the letdown reflex as well as the oxytocin rush you get while nursing, which gives you gobs of milk. I used to have to ask DH to bring more bottles because I'd fill them! Otherwise, you can only expect up to about 2 oz per pump (on both sides together) in general.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2011