How much to pay the babysitter?

How much do you pay your sitter an hour? Now that my kids are a little older we have a responsible high school student that will be watching them for a couple hours this weekend...but I don't know how much to pay her.
What do you pay your babysitter?
When I asked her how much she wanted she said that she didn't know how much and I think she was a little shy to take my money.

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 1:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• It totally depends on region and there are other factors too. My friend is so paranoid about underpaying her sitter so she swears by the Babysitter Pay Calculator on Care.com. Have you seen it? You just type in your zip code, the number of children and how many years of experience the sitter has and it gives you the going rate for your area. It’s kind of fun to see the difference. A Sacramento sitter costs $10.00/hr but a San Francisco sitter is $13.00/hr. Who knew! Anyway I think that’s the best way to go. Good luck!

carolinel191

Answer by carolinel191 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Anywhere from $5/hour to $10/hour depending on how many kids you have and what their needs are.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I pay 8 per hr for 1 child and 9 for two. I use a sitter service and that is the set rate.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 1:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Well, do you go get her or does she drive her own car to your house? I think that even if it is only for a couple of hours $30 would be fair, if she is driving, if not I would say about $10 and hour unless you have more than 3 kids, then I would say $2 extra for each child, you want her to want to come back again!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'm older, but still have a young son in need of a babysitter from time to time. When did this job become better paying than fast food/minimum wage jobs?? I used to pay $2 per hour and would consider $5 a lot! Perhaps if the babysitter did something besides sit on her butt watching movies with my kid I'd feel differently.

That being said, this is probably the kind of thing that varies by region.
    Kelly913

Answer by Kelly913 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2011