Is there that big difference between drugstore shampoos + conditioners VS salon shampoos + conditioners?

hazeleyezmommy

Asked by hazeleyezmommy at 1:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Yeah! U pay alot more at salons! Same stuff at the walgreens etc!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Hello hairstylist and beauty supply sales rep here. There is a huge difference in the way they make the products, and the quality of ingredients they use. That being said, if you have normal hair--no color, no perm, no super dry, or super thin, drugstore shampoo is allright to use. If you spend money on your hair getting it colored, you really should try a professional product that YOUR stylist suggests. They are much more concentrated, and last longer than drugstore shampoo, so the cost is really not that much different, but you need someone to suggest what you need, as professional products are more individualized for hair types.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• For me there is. The stuff out of the drug store or grocery store is just worthless. Within a week of using what comes out of a store and my hair is dry as straw. I've learned to be very careful about my usage of salon products because they are expensive but I shop around in the salons and online and find the best deal that will last the longest.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Yes and no. LIke Kimi said, it really depends on your hair type. My aunt, who owns her own salon, said that drug store shampoos have a lot of wax stuff in them, so it ends up building up on your hair. Plus, they strip the natural oils of your hair. Salon shampoos have lower concentrations of the bad stuff, and do not strip your hair (unless that's their intention).

Even after knowing that, I was using drug store shampoos for years. I just got my hair professionally colored for the first time in my life, and she told me the same thing my aunt did. She said if you have to use a drug store brand, Pantene is the best one.

corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Depends... If you have good hair you can probably get away with using the drugstore stuff. I've used Walmart's products for years on my hair and I love them ! But, then I have thick, naturally curly hair that doesn't really need anything but to be washed and lightly conditioned !
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 1:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Honestly? The price is the major difference. Keep in mind that the cleaning agent/detergent in ALL of those products is essentially the same ... all the rest is water and fluff and fragrance and packaging that you're paying extra for.

If you're worried about build up on your hair from product (and it happens whether you use the salon stuff or the cheaper stuff), rinse periodically with plain ol' white vinegar after your shampoo (once every other week should do it) ... works great and is cheap to boot! (Don't worry, the smell dissipates after a few minutes).
    Anonymous

• Google this: poo free. Read as many articles/blogs/reviews as u want. I have heard mainly nothing but good stuff about it. I decided to try it and basically you use baking soda/water in place of shampoo and organic apple cider vinegar (most dont say it has to be organic but I like the 'mother' in it cause it's better for you) in place of conditioner. I also added tea tree oil to both mixes to keep flakes away and added honey to the vinegar cause my hair dries out. For the first month, my hair went through adjustment period where sometimes it was dry others it was oily but all the blogs warned to push through this and now my hair is better than it EVER was with either store bought or Salon products...way better!!! And it's pennies cheap...google and find the exact method you think will work and give it time to adjust and maybe have to change mix up to suit your hair but belive me, it was worth it!
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 3:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• yes, just like kikimogo says. There IS a difference...
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My friend swears by buying cheap shampoo without a lot of cleansers in it so it doesn't strip your hair and higher quality conditioner. That is what I have always done it works for me. :)
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 3:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Whatever you use...use organic!
    1_HOT_MOMMA

Answer by 1_HOT_MOMMA at 3:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2011