I love my business but...

I can't seem to get it going.  Its direct sales.  I LOVE my product, I wouldn't do any other business because this one has the products I LOVE, and it doesn't have any quotas. 

I went to Vistaprint and made up business cards, and I put fliers out, I talk to EVERYONE, ad give them a business card as well, but I just can't get that first party booked!  I just can't figure out why even word of mouth doesn't work!  I get some that seem excited, but then I never hear from them!  What am I doing wrong, and how can I book thatfirst party, and MANY MANY more after that?  I don't plan to quit, I am not a quitter, I still LOVE the products, I just need that initial party to get the business off the ground!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• What's your business??? Have you thought about doing a party swap with someone else who also has a business?
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Do you have a family member or friend that will do the first party to help get you started?
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I had a business like this and nobody wants to do the party because the economy is bad and people don't like feeling pressured into buying stuff. My bother's wife's mom told me I could come in to her salon anytime and giver her catalogs and stuff. I set a date with her and everything. Afterward, she talked behind my back about how I was pressuring her to buy stuff and came into her salon at an inconvienent time.....Kind of shitty considering we both agreed to it in advance and I certainly didn't come in unannounced. People just find this sort of thing bothersome....that's why i got out and sold my leftover products on Ebay to recoup some of my initial expenses. It just wasn't worth it to me.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I am doing Paperly. We sell personalized stationery, clipboards and a lot of other beautiful stuff!
    I have done a few other businesses in the past, so none of my family and friends want "bothered" with any of my business ventures, even if its something they want! :( I announced an open house, nobody showed up, and they had ample time to know about it! I feel lost! I hear so many people who do so well with direct sales, and here I am, and for some reason, I just can't sell anything! I end up spending more than I make!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• As you've observed, times are tough for everyone. The problem with direct sales is that you have to know someone who is willing to pay for your product. Before the recession hit, I bought Mary Kay and Pampered Chef items from friends. Even then, there is only so much makeup and kitchen stuff you can buy. Now, particularly after having DD, I just don't have the discretionary income for that sort of thing. I probably won't chose to spend my money that way, anyway. I think lots of others like me are in the same boat and I'm part of the demographic who would be a good targetor these items. I hope your business picks up, really I do, but I'd be surprised if you'll find too many people who will follow up with you. Best of luck with this.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Sorry I have never heard of the company. I have been with Premier Designs for two years and have had great success, maybe it is just your area and that product.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 2:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I have no interest in buying direct sales from people, no matter what the item is. It just doesn't fit with my lifestyle. And, it's just too awkward---even though a friend will say that there's no obligation, the obligation is still there, even if the seller really doesn't feel like it is. The bonds of friendship and family insert an obligation and a feeling of guilt. So, I just stay away from it completely.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I agree with lapcounter. It could be the product. With computers, I'm not sure there are too many people who still use stationary.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I agree. Times are hard for everyone. I am with Dove Chocolate Discoveries and its pretty easy to sell however times are hard and people are just not willing to put out the money right now. You will get there. Don't give up
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Well that product can be a more difficult sell....not everyone has extra money for stationary when they can go to the Dollar Tree and get cute basic stuff. Direct sales can be very difficult to get sales in, especially if it's a "want" item instead of a "need" item. Most of us have to put our needs before the wants leaving little money left for those wants.

I'd recommend getting a facebook page and inviting friends to like the page and start listing sales...perhaps look into being a vendor at a Bridal show or vendor fair
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2011