Absent father...questioning 2 yo

My son's father and I broke up when I was about 5 mo pregnant and has never tried to contact us (which is probably a good thing since he was/is involved in drugs). My son (2.5) has recently started asking about his daddy. I'm not really sure what to say that he will understand at this age. Anyone with a similar situation that can offer advice? how do you deal with it when the child gets older?

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• the truth, but softened to whats age appropriate. my situation is similar yet different.. him and split when I was 4 months pregnant with our second, so when my older daughter asked about her dad (she was 2 1/2 when we split). I told her in simple terms that daddy isnt going to be around anymore. When she asked why, i told her simply, that I don't know why daddy isn't around anymore. (even though I knew he choose to party it up and not step up to responsibilities of parenting, I honestly don't know WHY he choose that, so while I was a little evasive I also was as honest as I could be without trying to say he wasn't father material. I don't want her to think thta it's her fault because it's not). When my 5 month old asks when she gets older it'll be more difficult since she won't remember her father at all. My now three year old knew her father so somewhat saw how he was so was able to deal with it from that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2011