How do you potty train a 5 year old through the night?

My 5 year old dd still wears pull-ups to bed because she litterally SOAKS the bed if she doesn't! I have cut her fluids after 6pm, and she goes to bed at 9pm, that doesn't work, I have tried letting her in panties, thinking she just peed because there was a pull-up on... boy did I have one HECK of a mess in the morning! She IS trying, I have woke up at 3am to the sound of the toilet flushing, so I know she is trying, I'm not sure its something she can control! What should I do?

babygrlsmommy

Asked by babygrlsmommy at 1:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• talk to your dr. BUT at 5 she's still within the normal range. You know she's trying so maybe she's just not ready yet... plastic sheet, pull up and patience. The large majority of kids out grow this (I'd say all who don't have a physical or developmental issue but you never know).
    My lil bro did it to 13. My dd just turned 6 shes' been dry 2 nights running but I'm not hold ing my breath.
    Oh and this is my PERSONAL opinion... does she have allergies and/or snore? I think kids who have a diff. sleep pattern that make its even harder.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• You don't. It is pretty normal for some kids to wet the bed up until as late as age 10. Some kids bodies grow faster than their bladders some kids are deep sleepers. The only thing that will correct it is time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You can only do it if her body has started producing the right hormones to slow down her kidneys overnight. If they haven't, it won't work.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You might try waking her once a night to go to the bathroom. Try to make it the same time every night so her body can get used to it and will "tell her" to wake in the middle of the night.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 1:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• yep- it takes mental growth - her body has to be ready.

Some more pointers though, awake her during the night when you go to bed say around 11-12 and get her to go again, see if that stops it. :)
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 1:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• another thing, she may have bladder infection. If she is 5, you might ask her Dr. on your routine checkup about holding pee issue, bubble baths/soaps/ect can really irritate little girls and makes us/them prone to underlying irritation /infections, ect.

I once did a routine urine check and I had a severe UTI, I had no systems, no fever, no pain when peeing, nothing. Had to use major antibiotics before it cleared up.

2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 1:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Oh wow! I never thought about UTI! :( I'll definetly have her checked! Thanks for all the answers, I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong!
    babygrlsmommy

Comment by babygrlsmommy (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• try putting the potty chair in her bedroom with her... sometimes if the bathroom is too far they don't like to get up to walk all the way to it. I know my 3 year old had this issue for a few months (our bathroom is downstairs).

also try a bed pad for potty trainers so it doesn't ruin the bed, it's easier to throw that in the washer than it is to have to scrub the mattress and wash all the bedding. After a few times of that they typically learn to wake themselves up, you can also try waking her up around 2-3 am to get her to go potty, eventually after a week or so of it, she'll make a routine out of it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• If she is going a lot during the day then I might suspect a UTI.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 6:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• u can buy a plastic matress cover from walmart or kmart to cover her bed. id talk to her adn her dr about it as well
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011