What to do with all that basil (besides pesto)?

I'm kinda new to gardening so I planted too much basil this year, and now I've got all this beautiful, fragrant fresh basil leaves but I don't know what to do with it all!! I've tried making pesto, but honestly I kind of like the stuff from the store better than my homemade pesto... so what else can I do with it? I was thinking of making some basil-y meatballs or maybe try some thai stir-fry...

Any ideas for some good simple recipies? Thanks!

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 1:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Food & Drink

• http://ask.metafilter.com/23557/What-do-I-do-with-all-this-damn-basil
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Make bruschetta, tomatoes, basil, garlic and olive oil, you can put homemade mozzerla in it as well, you can also dry the leaves and use it for spice later!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I make bruschetta like Kimi suggested and I dry it and freeze it for later. It is wonderful to have fresh dried basil!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• add it fresh to pasta
    http://www.seasonalchef.com/recipe7.htm

cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• This recipe is one of my favorite to make with basil! Pasta with Zucchini and Basil---YUM!

evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• One of my favorites it take Ciabatta bread melt mozz cheese on it layer tomato,basil,and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and pepper voila delicious sandwich. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• spread the leaves on a baking sheet and put in the oven on the lowest heat possible, when they are dry, crumble and store in an old spice bottle. or you can chop and put them in an ice cube tray, then fill up tray with water, freeze, then pop out and store in freezer bags
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 5:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• baking

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011