Birthday Bash ideas for a special needs child

I want to have my daughters 8th bday party and for the first time invite all her special needs friends to her party. i am kinda leary on what to do so they have fun but yet in short spane of time. Any suggestions from other moms on what has worked for you?

dwhughes

Asked by dwhughes at 1:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I saw on your profile that your DD has a form of Autism so I assume her friends do as well... please correct me if I am wrong. If this is the case I would suggest a structures flow of events that are not to hectic or loud. Maybe some finger painting, board games (great for social skills anyway) perhaps let everyone decorate their own cup cake instead of doing one big cake, consider hiring an entertainer who works with animals if that is an options or allow the kids to make their own puppets and let them take turns putting on a show. Fond out form the school what sort of activities they do together in class and try to work with that. I think coming up with a plan and putting it in you invites would be helpful for some friends with autism. 'we will play games, paint, eat cake and sing then dance to music until it is time to go home' maybe even do it as a visual schedule.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• thank you for the great advise! Yes she certainly does have autism and many other issues that she working through. perfect suggestions for activities. that is just what i was looking to reassure myself that going that direction would be ok for her party...Thank you
    dwhughes

Comment by dwhughes (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I would just have a very structured couple of activities. Maybe have a little story time? Get them to color a birthday themed picture, Maybe get those little foam things at the dollar store to make crowns and let them decorate them. Finger painting, or painting a picture would also definitely be a hit.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 7:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• let them decorate their own cupcakes! my boys loved this! painting bday signs and coloring in blank birthday cards!
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Good ideas on here that I can refer a friend to that has a child with autism as well. Thank you!
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 9:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My son has autism and he loves those bounce houses...otherwise he just likes running around but has a hard time with organzed activities. From what I know with kids with special needs is one thing doesn't work for everyone. Go with what your daughter likes and hope for the best~!
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think bounce houses, puzzles, bingo, or going to the park would be fun.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 3:03 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I agree that you should have some kind of structured activities, you know the children best. A lot of the sensory things like fingerpaints and decorating cupcakes would be good, also if they are in the same class at school, talk to the teacher to find out what types of things are generally liked as well as DISLIKED. Having the wrong activity can be pretty bad.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:04 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I would ask this in a support group where parents deal with the challenges that the guests are your party face. They would be able to tell you exactly what you need to know!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Structured activities for sure. Maybe let them make their own tshirt, decorate cookies or cupcakes, have a story time, maybe an outdoor activity like tee ball?
    alliesmom112

Answer by alliesmom112 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2011