Anyone else have a husband that puts his Dad first?

My husband is close to his father and that is great. But his dad is always number 1, I don't care what the issue is. I kind of figured over the years that he would kind of wean and get it that I'm his partner now. 9 years in and that's yet to happen. :( I'm so fed up at this point that I think if it weren't for the kids I would go find a relationship that loves me back as much as I love the other person. I have said things to him and he's improved, but I don't think I will ever be nearly as important as his father is. I've said things to FIL, not jabbing at him but comments about how his son could use some encouragement when it comes to putting his family first. Well, that didn't go very far obviously. It just kills me. FIL and MIL aren't close and although dh sees that, it's still like he models his own relationship after theirs. FIL knows he's miserable but he won't encourage his son to do better.

Anyhow, the reason I'm asking is because I'm just wondering how common it is for a husband to be super attached to his father. You hear horror stories about MILs but few about FILs. LOL Am I alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• i am not in the same perdiciment with fil but it's with his job. Me and the kids come dead last and i am really getting tired of it. In fact he just left after coming home for his lunch break he walked in and went right up to his man cave with his buddies and i mean he walked right past his two youngest children and didnt say a word them he came downstairs long enough to get some snacks for them and drinks and then came down again when it was time for them to go back and wondered why i was in a bad mood. this is getting ridiculous!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 2:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Not an issue here. I would try talking to him again.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• oh, I've got some horror stories about my FIL! I'll take my MIL over him any day!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• my sis's fiance is super attached to his papa.. I don't know if it is a bad thing... just something you knew beforehand and have to deal with. Sorry...
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 2:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2011