Misdiagnosed in emergency room? adult content

i'm going to try and make this as brief as possible...so, about a month ago i went to my regular doctor for what i thought was a urinary tract infection (i've had many before). well, the urine tests that she did came up negative for an infection. she sent it in for it to be cultured, which also came back negative for an infection. (here is a foreshadowing! at this time i had asked her if it could be a kidney stone because i do have a history of having them, and she didnt seem to have any further thoughts on the matter.) so after a couple more days with the same symptoms i went to a walk in clinic for another urine test...still negative for an infection. the next day, with my symptoms seemingly worse, i went to the emergency room hoping that they would do additional tests to figure out what was causing my symptoms. well, they did a urine test and a blood test. the nurse came back in and said that the urine test came back with "unusual results" and she said that the doctor would be in shortly. about 20 minutes later a nurse practicioner (while highly educated i'm sure, not a doctor) came in to tell me i had an infection, and sent me on my way with prescriptions for an antibiotic. after the 3 day dose i was still having the exact same symptoms with no improvement. i decided to see a uroligist. he did a urine tests that came back still negative for an infection. (i actually brought in the results from the ER for him to review also). he said he wasnt convinced that it was an infection, and he sent me for a CT scan of my abdomin and pelvis. it was seen that i have a few kidney stones and a small cyst in my left kidney. i am now following up with the urologist because it was also found that i have a condition in my kidneys where they produce too much calcium that form into stones, and it could become dangerous if the stone build up too big. Soooo! after all that! my question is, do you think i could protest paying my emergency room bill because they failed to do the proper tests to diagnose my symptoms effectively?

happymom8262

Asked by happymom8262 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Health

• I would definitely look into it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You could try, but you will probably have to pay anyway. The idea is you are paying for a "service" and you received that service, even it it was carried out by someone who was under-qualified or just not knowledgeable enough to be doing it well.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You should have gone to the urologist to begin with, not the ER. That is why the ER always tells you to follow up with your doctor. They are there to fix you up and send you on your way.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• i should add that i went to the ER because my symptoms were pretty severe at this point and it was a saturday morning. so i knew that i couldnt even get ahold of a urologist, nevermind scheduling an appointment, anytime soon.
    happymom8262

Comment by happymom8262 (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• The same thing happened to us and we still had to pay. My son was diagnosed at a Children's ER as having a double ear infection. I kept disagreeing with them and telling them it was more serious. They didn't want to talk to me about it and acted all high and mighty. Went to a different ER next day and found out he had something much much worse...had to have him hooked up to an IV immediately. We filed a report against the ER dr but still had to pay our bill.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You would really have to prove that the ER didn't live up to a standard of care for patients presenting with similar symptoms. DH went for almost a year being treated for an enlarged prostate. He actually had a bladder stone. His bladder couldn't empty because the stone, which was about 1 inch, would block the urethra when he went to pee. He also had discomfort and urgency.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• They will argue the fact. Services rendered therefore you will pay. Regardless of the outcome of the visit. Sorry. I just wouldn't go back to that hospital again. If you know you have had kidney stones on the past you could've pressed the issue with them in the ER and told them to check it. That's what I would do. I've been to the ER more than I care to say and if they try to convince me that its nothing and I know my body then I convince them to make sure they rule out everything. Had to do that for my brain tumor. It grew back they said I was crazy and it couldn't grow back that quick so I said fine...if it isn't there I will see a psychiatrist. They did the test and it was there again.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 8:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Oh goodness . . I am so sorry. That sucks.

Unfortunately, you still have to pay :( They base it on "standard of care", and the doc could say it is a reasonable assumption with the symptoms you had and possibly a few leukocytes floating in there that you had an infection.

So many people are misdiagnosed in the ER . . which is why they tell you to follow-up with your doc.

I hope the urologist can help out. It is crzy-making when you have been seeing the docs and ER and noone had treated you correctly.

Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2011